Employment Law/Rounding time

Is it legal in Texas to round time in 30 min increments if I'm 1 min late when the web based time clock is up to 8 min fast? It gradually gains time, then it's reset when I ask to get on the agenda at next board meeting regarding discrepancy? I'm no in expert salary sand be of being late they've taken my pto in order for me to get hours required, I actually was -1.5 hours a check in my pto.

Hello Myranda,

This from

"As to "rounding" practices, 29 C.F.R. 785.48(b) explains that rounding off work times to the nearest 5 minutes, one-tenth of an hour, or even quarter of an hour is permissible, as long as it works both ways, i.e., both to the advantage and disadvantage of the employee. That way, the system can be said to achieve a balance over time, and the employee is not suffering a detriment by virtue of a system that always rounds off in favor of the company."

This language seems to indicate 30 min. increment is not allowed.

Overcome Workplace Bullying

Employment Law

Yancey Thomas Jr

General employee rights relating to ADAAA,FMLA,Employee Performance Reviews,Sexual Harassment,Workplace Discrimination,Job Interviews,Workplace Violence,Workplace Privacy,wrongful termination,drug tests Non Answers COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Reconciliation Act),USERRA,OSHA,Workers' Compensation,Federal Unemployment Tax Act,Equal Pay Act,The Wagner Act,EEOC,NLRB

16 years as an employee rights educator, coach, trainer, activist and advocate. Several of my websites and blogs,, and rank highly in all four major search engines, Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask for the keyword “basic employee rights”, “employee workplace rights” and “employee rights guide”. The websites also rank on the first page of the search engines for various other keywords related employee rights topics. These unique site receive 20,000+ unique (new) visitors monthly from all over the world.

Tennessee Supreme Court Rule 31 trained in mediator/neutral specializing in conflict resolution of general civil, business and employment issues. Also certified in mediation including the Alliance for education in dispute resolution and Cornell University.