Employment Law/tip calculation

Question
My friend just began work as a server in a Maryland restaurant, a franchise. She says she must tip out the bartenders and the hostess. But the 3% she must tip out is not based on her total tips, but on her total sales, which she believes is excessive. I'm unable to find any information concerning this policy online, hence this question. Can an employer in Maryland do this?

Answer
Hi Josie,

I do not deal with tipped workers. I know that she must earn minimum wage and any tips that she tips out do not count toward her minimum wage amount.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/maryland-laws-tipped-employees.html

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/forms/esstipinfobrochure.pdf

It does say the following in the above link form Maryland Department of Labor.

Pooling Tips?
Pooling tips is allowed under the tip credit
provision. However, the employer must first
notify the employee of any tip pooling policy
and can only calculate tips received based on
the final amount received by the employee
from the tip pool.

This tells me the tip pool is only on the amount of tips and not on the amount of sales.

Since I have not personally dealt with tipped employees I would suggest your friend or you call the Department of Labor in Maryland and ask them about it. Their job is to assist employees.

www.dllr.state.md.us/labor/wages/

For additional information, contact:
Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
Division of Labor and Industry
Employment Standards Service
1100 N. Eutaw Street - Room 607
Baltimore, MD 21201
410-767-2357
Fax: 410-767-7303
e-mail: dldliemploymentstandards-dllr@maryland.gov

I hope this helps.

Shirley  

Employment Law

Shirley McAllister, CPP, PHR