Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/Non compliant T1

Question
Your "credentials" are amazing...I am looking for help in how I can best help my 18 yr. daughter, T1D for 20 months....her last A1c was unmeasurable...over 14%...she does not want to deal with it....lives at home but really rather independent...won't eat the good food I prepare...obviously feels crummy all the time and is just not motivated.....discouraged....we're very rural, so not much in the way of connecting with other T1D's.....I know your expertise is with excersise, but how does one who is so discouraged begin to care?  Where do you start when you are completely out of shape and feel bad all the rime?  As the parents,  what is our best recourse to help her?....I am sort of waiting for her to "own" it....but how much damage is being done in the meantime?  This is probably more of a psychology question...but isn't there a correlation of psychology and exercise?  Any recommendations appreciated.  Thank you.

Answer
Lisa,
 It sounds like your daughter is still angry and in denial about her diagnosis, which is understandable for someone her age.  She needs to realize, though, that having type 1 diabetes is not the end of the world and that it is a manageable disease.  However, if she chooses not manage it, not only will she feel crappy all the time, but she is a lot more likely to have health problems associated with it down the road.  She won't have any short-term ones, though, with the possible exception of developing diabetic ketoacidosis (which can be fatal if not treated), if she fails to take her insulin and keeps her blood glucose levels running high all the time.
  So, what can you do?  It really depends on your relationship with her and how she responds to your suggestions.  So far, it sounds like not so good with regard to food.  She probably doesn't realize how truly crappy she is feeling at the moment and that it doesn't have to be that way.  It sounds like she needs to start getting introduced to people who are living well with type 1.  There are a number of social networks now that she could access to read more about that and to interact with others with it.  For example, TuDiabetes.org is a great site with lots of info and members, as well as several for more extreme athletes like InsulinDependence.org.  You may even be able to get her a copy of "50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes" (you can see more about that book on my web site at www.shericolberg.com) and see if she will read it.  Sne needs to deal with her emotions first to start dealing with her diabetes better.
  As for exercise, if you can even get her walking more or moving in any way, she'll start to feel a bit better (it can help lower her blood glucose), and that may inspire her to do more.
  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD