Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/High HbA1C results

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr.Sheri,

My name is Sami Hajj. I am 42 year old.

Last august I did a general health test and the results were as follow:
Glucose: 0.96g/l
HbA1C: 5.9%
Triglycerides: 1.95g/l
Cholesterol: 243 g/l (there was no break down into HDL and LDL).
My blood pressure was good

I did a diet were I stop eating any sweet, sugar and reduced fruit to only 3 pieces a day (before I use to eat more than 15 pieces). I change to eat all brown cereals (specially oat and rye bread) (myself I don’t eat fatty foods like hamburger and fried food) and I was doing exercise 5 days a week. i didn't take any medicine

On December I did the test again and got the following results:
Glucose: 0.91g/l
HbA1C: 6.1%
Triglycerides: 0.83g/l
Cholesterol: 1.65 g/l (HDL: 0.56 and LDL 0.92)

How could we explain that although I reduced the sugar intake heavily for more than 3 months, and performing regular exercise the HbA1C went from 5.9 to 6.1 I was expecting this value to drop considerably.

Do you suggest any action to reduce the HbA1C. I don’t have history in the family of Diabetes.

ANSWER: Sami,
  Getting lab values of 5.9% and 6.1% are not really different at all (probably within the error of testing in the lab).  So, I am assuming it didn't change.  However, your fasting blood glucose was lower and your triglycerides (blood fats) were lower, as was your total cholesterol, and these are both good changes.  Having a primarily carbohydrate-based diet may make it hard for your A1C value to drop much.  While fruit sugar is considered a simple sugar, all carbohydrates (including brown cereals) are primarily made up of carbohydrates that get converted into sugar (glucose) in the body. If you were to cut down on your total carbohydrate intake and continue exercising, you would probably see a decrease in your A1C. Sheri

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Shery.

Thank you for the valuable information.

i would like to know if based on the results
Glucose: 0.91g/l
HbA1C: 6.1%

am i considered pre-diabetes and do i run real risk of developing full fledged diabetes.

just an extra information on august i tested also the insulin and it was 4.3mU/l while the normal range is between 6 and 27 does this show any indication

Answer
Sami,
  The American Diabetes Association considered the "prediabetic" range for A1C values to be 5.7-6.4%, so you would be considered to have prediabetes by those criteria.  That does increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.  I'm not sure what it means that your insulin levels are below normal.  Usually when those are low, people are insulin sensitive and have normal A1C values.  Just make the lifestyle changes that I suggested (with your diet) and try to do resistance training of some sort twice a week, and you will greatly lower your risk.  I have a lot of information on my web site (www.shericolberg.com) that may help you that you can access for free as well.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD