Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/Glycemic Index/Oatmeal

Question
Hello Dr. Colberg

Although I am not diabetic, I would like your advice on controlling blood sugar, as I heard that constant spikes in blood sugar levels can increase fat storage in some cases.

If I were to eat something that was medium-high glycemic, such as rolled oats for breakfast, would adding something like natural peanut butter, prevent the rapid rise in blood sugar that I am hoping to prevent?

Thank you.

Answer
Christopher,
  When you eat a meal that has a balance of carbs, protein, and fat, the total carbohydrate content is usually lower and that results in a lower glycemic effect.  When you eat a mixed meal, the carbs are usually fully digested within 1-2 hours, the protein within 3-4 hours, and the fat within 5-6 hours.  Adding peanut butter to your rolled oats won't necessarily slow down how quickly the oats themselves are digested, though.  For foods with the fat cooked into them--potatoes vs. potato chips, for instance--the potatoes do cause a greater spike (and insulin release) than potato chips, but that's a bit different than just eating a mixed meal or snack.  Another reason to balance out what you eat is that protein and fat usually help you feel full longer than just eating carbs.  For example, if you eat pretzels alone vs. pretzels and a hunk of cheese or a handful of nuts, you'll get hungry again a lot sooner from the pretzels by themselves.  It's just healthier to avoid eating a lot of high GI carbs in any case.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD