Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/Normal Glucose Levels

Dr. Colberg,
  I was diagnosed several months ago as insulin resistant. Since then I've become pregnant and was very worried about getting gestational diabetes. My Dr has me on 500 mg of Metformin & sent me to a nutritionist who mapped out a food plan & exercise (swimming & walking) for me. I've not gained any weight yet (16 weeks pregnant) and am eating well and feeling much better after my consultation with the nutritionist. (This is my 3rd pregnancy with my other 2 not having any of these complications)

From what I've read online after I take the glucose test (containing 50 grams of carbs) my BG needs to be under 150. I eat 45 carbs with lunch & dinner and my BG is always under 120 and usually stays closer to <110.

My mother, who is diabetic, keeps telling me that these numbers aren't good for a "non-diabetic" and therefore I will most likely develop diabetes because of this.

I ate a high carb meal of 1 1/4 cups of multigrain pasta with alfredo sauce, 1/2 cup of Dr Pepper, and 1 piece of Dove Dark Chocolate for dinner. I do not normally "cheat" this much and my meals are normally healthier, but I decided to splurge for this dinner meal and I honestly did it to see how my BG would do. After 2 hours it was 110 and that made me very happy!

I called my mom to share with her and she says that might be good for a diabetic, but not a non-diabetic and once again.. I probably have diabetes.

Will you please clear this up for me? Are these numbers consistent with diabetes or am I doing okay? I fervently check my BG 6-8 times a day and my levels are always in line with what the nutritionist shared they should be for insulin resistance/gestational diabetes.

If I was not dealing with these issues though.. how do these numbers look?

I appreciate your time so much. I keep getting conflicting answers from what I read online!

Blessings to you!!

In people without diabetes, their BG values seldom exceed 140 mg/dl, even after high-carb meals.  From what you've told me about your numbers during your pregnancy, yours look absolutely normal at this point.  Insulin resistance increases throughout pregnancy, though, and an increase in placental hormones in the third trimester (to spare glucose for your baby) may make those numbers rise a bit.  However, I have to say that it sounds like you're doing everything right with your diet and your exercise to try to manage that when it does happen.  In fact, the things you're doing are the same as you would need to do post-pregnancy to try to avoid ever developing type 2 diabetes, so keep them up afterwards as well.  I do have a lot of articles posted on my web site at www.shericolberg.com that can help you continue to make healthier lifestyle choices to control insulin resistance and prevent diabetes.  Let me know if I can answer any additional questions for you.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD

I am an exercise physiologist with a PhD who specializes in diabetes--as such I CANNOT answer general questions about other endocrine problems as I am neither an expert in all areas of endocrinology nor am I a medical doctor. My expertise lies in answering questions about diabetes (of any type) and physical activity, so please limit your questions to those areas. I can help you if you want to begin exercise or if you're already a diabetic athlete, and I am prepared to respond to questions about physical activity to which even your diabetologist may not know the answer. I can give suggestions about changes in your diabetic medications that differing types and intensities of exercise may necessitate, but I will have to refer you to your regular health care team to get final approval to make such changes. I can also answer questions about physical fitness, exercise metabolism, prediabetes reversal, and prevention of type 2 diabetes and diabetic complications.

I have both personal and professional experience in the areas of diabetes and exercise/physical activity. On a personal level, I have had type 1 diabetes since 1968, and I have been an avid exerciser since I was a child. Professionally, I have been conducting clinical studies on diabetes and exercise since 1992, largely with funding from the American Diabetes Association. I am also the author of 8 books related to diabetes, exercise, and more: The Diabetic Athlete (2001), Diabetes-Free Kids (2005), The 7 Step Diabetes Fitness Plan (2006), 50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes (2007), The Science of Staying Young (2007), Matt Hoover's Guide to Life, Love, and Losing Weight (2008), Diabetic Athlete's Handbook (2009), and Diabetes? No Problema! (2009).

I am a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, a professional member of the American Diabetes Association (and professional volunteer for the ADA), and a former member of the Board of Directors of the Diabetes Exercise & Sports Association.

I have published research and review articles in the following journals and magazines: Diabetes Care, Diabetes, Journal of Diabetes & Its Complications, Diabetes Self-Management, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Journal of Applied Physiology, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, Journal of Clinical Investigation, International Journal of Obesity, FASEB Journal, The Diabetes Educator, Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Clinical Exercise Physiology, Clinical Diabetes Reviews, Insulin, ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal, Biomechanics, On the Cutting Edge, Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, Microvascular Research, Drug Benefit Trends, ACSM Certified News, Diabetes Health, SportEX Health, Diabetes Focus, Diabetes In Control, dLife-For Your Diabetes Life, Pediatrics for Parents, and My TCOYD (Taking Control of Your Diabetes) Newsletter. I have also been interviewed in myriad other magazines, such as Men's Health, Men's Fitness, Diabetes Forecast, Countdown Magazine, Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness, Health, Tidewater Parent, Barron's News, Diabetes New Day, and Newsweek International.

I have an undergraduate degree (1985) from Stanford University, a Master's degree in exercise physiology (1987) from the University of California, Davis, and a Ph.D. (1992) from the University of California, Berkeley, in the same field. I also spent two years in an NIH-funded postdoctoral research position in endocrinology (studying obesity, diabetes, metabolism, and exercise) at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (1993-1994).

Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM) - 1996 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Young Investigator Grant Award 2003 Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, Old Dominion University Chapter 2004-Present Great Women of the 21st Century by the American Biographical Institute 2005 Edition Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Largest Research Grant Award 2006 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Publications Award (for greatest number) 2006 Saint Louis University, The Max K. Horwitt Memorial Lecture Distinguished Lectureship Award 2008 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Publications Award 2009 Old Dominion University Darden College of Research Grants Award 2009

I have consulted for numerous groups, including Can-Am Care, Numera|Social, California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training(about candidates with diabetes), Animas Corporation (an insulin pump company), Therasense, Inc. (makers of the Freestyle blood glucose meters), Council of Healthcare Advisors, and the City of Chesapeake (Virginia) Health Department.