Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/cholesterol

Question
QUESTION: Hi dear Sheri,
On last October my Cholesterol was 179. But the result on 16 April 2013 is as follows:
Cholesterol  258
Triglycerides 151
HDL 48
LDL 189
VLDL 31
CHOI TRI 2.29
LDL HDL 4.0
As I do jogging (5 days a week)and avoid eating saturated fat, why my Cholesterol is so high? Do I need to take medicines for it?Please note that my Glucose is normal and my HbA1C is 8.9%. I am a non-smoking 67 years old man weight 75 kg and 173 cm height.
Thanks in advance for your advice.

ANSWER: Nawd,
 For starters, an HbA1C value of 8.9% is not normal at all, even if your fasting glucose is.  A diagnosis of diabetes is made when your A1C value reaches 6.5%.  So, having blood glucose levels that rise too high after meals (which has to be happening in your case since you said your fasting glucose is normal) can cause your levels of blood fats to rise and your total cholesterol and LDL levels.  

The first thing you need to do is get your blood glucose levels under control.  The exercise is good for you to keep doing, but you may also need to add in some resistance training and make some dietary changes.  Eating too many carbohydrates (that can raise your blood glucose) can also raise your blood fats and your cholesterol levels.  Try to cut back on refined/processed carb intake.  Are you familiar with the glycemic index (GI)?  Foods with a higher GI value cause blood glucose levels to spike after meals and are best avoided.  You can find the GI of foods at www.glycemicindex.com.  I also have a lot of tips for making lifestyle changes to manage blood glucose on my web site and blog at www.shericolberg.com.  You may need medications to help you manage it as well.  After you get your blood glucose under control, then see how your cholesterol levels are doing.  Sheri

QUESTION: thanks sheri. i'll definitely do according to your advice.
please tell me whether i should take medicine for reducing my cholesterol.

Answer
Nawd,
  If you can get your cholesterol back down under 200 mg/dl like it was six months ago by managing your blood glucose levels, then you probably wouldn't need any medication.  If you can't get it down, though, you should talk to your doctor about whether you need a medication to lower it.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD