Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/Pre-Diabetes Reversal

Profile: Age 41 - Weight 97 - Blood pressure 135/85 - Cholesterol 230 (HDL 41 - LDL 160 - TG 146). Not on any Medication.

I have been a pre-diabetic for the last 10 years, FBG numbers between 90-115, PP - 130-165.

Last week, on a blood work schedule my FBG was 140, same day Pre Lunch(3 hour) was 93, Pre Dinner was 93 and PP after dinner was 150.

Following morning FBG 116, and the next day 113 - PP (2 hr) in similar 150 range.

I can see my FBG has gone up by roughly 10 poinst consistently else i used to be in 10X range consistently and in 9X on a good day.

My question is:

- Do you generally see an isolated 140 level on FBG in pre-diabetics or is there a reason for me to worry.

- Is it time for me to see a Endocrinologist to get on meds, else I don't want to see him.

Never done A1C, Understand that should be done.

Your fasting level is now in a "diabetic" range (126 mg/dl or higher), no longer just a prediabetic one (100-125 mg/dl).  If you have already made all the lifestyle changes that you can to help lower this number (including regular physical activity, dietary changes, and weight loss), then it is probably time for you to see an endo.  You'll find a lot of information about lifestyle changes and how to make them on my web site and blog (www.shericolberg.com).  Start there and see if there are any other things you can do first.  Sheri

QUESTION: To be honest I have been lazy lately for a few months and was not paying attention to my carb control / diet, I think I will follow a regime for a few months and take it from there, will continue to test-test-test.

What worries me is the 140 number, can you tell me if a pre diabetic can get a 140 random / one-off reading?

Since the numbers are arbitrary cutoff points, the Am. Diabetes Association usually says you have to have 140 mg/dl or higher on two different readings to make a diagnosis.  I think your idea of seeing what you can do with your lifestyle improvements first is a great idea.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD

I am an exercise physiologist with a PhD who specializes in diabetes--as such I CANNOT answer general questions about other endocrine problems as I am neither an expert in all areas of endocrinology nor am I a medical doctor. My expertise lies in answering questions about diabetes (of any type) and physical activity, so please limit your questions to those areas. I can help you if you want to begin exercise or if you're already a diabetic athlete, and I am prepared to respond to questions about physical activity to which even your diabetologist may not know the answer. I can give suggestions about changes in your diabetic medications that differing types and intensities of exercise may necessitate, but I will have to refer you to your regular health care team to get final approval to make such changes. I can also answer questions about physical fitness, exercise metabolism, prediabetes reversal, and prevention of type 2 diabetes and diabetic complications.

I have both personal and professional experience in the areas of diabetes and exercise/physical activity. On a personal level, I have had type 1 diabetes since 1968, and I have been an avid exerciser since I was a child. Professionally, I have been conducting clinical studies on diabetes and exercise since 1992, largely with funding from the American Diabetes Association. I am also the author of 8 books related to diabetes, exercise, and more: The Diabetic Athlete (2001), Diabetes-Free Kids (2005), The 7 Step Diabetes Fitness Plan (2006), 50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes (2007), The Science of Staying Young (2007), Matt Hoover's Guide to Life, Love, and Losing Weight (2008), Diabetic Athlete's Handbook (2009), and Diabetes? No Problema! (2009).

I am a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, a professional member of the American Diabetes Association (and professional volunteer for the ADA), and a former member of the Board of Directors of the Diabetes Exercise & Sports Association.

I have published research and review articles in the following journals and magazines: Diabetes Care, Diabetes, Journal of Diabetes & Its Complications, Diabetes Self-Management, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Journal of Applied Physiology, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, Journal of Clinical Investigation, International Journal of Obesity, FASEB Journal, The Diabetes Educator, Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Clinical Exercise Physiology, Clinical Diabetes Reviews, Insulin, ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal, Biomechanics, On the Cutting Edge, Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, Microvascular Research, Drug Benefit Trends, ACSM Certified News, Diabetes Health, SportEX Health, Diabetes Focus, Diabetes In Control, dLife-For Your Diabetes Life, Pediatrics for Parents, and My TCOYD (Taking Control of Your Diabetes) Newsletter. I have also been interviewed in myriad other magazines, such as Men's Health, Men's Fitness, Diabetes Forecast, Countdown Magazine, Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness, Health, Tidewater Parent, Barron's News, Diabetes New Day, and Newsweek International.

I have an undergraduate degree (1985) from Stanford University, a Master's degree in exercise physiology (1987) from the University of California, Davis, and a Ph.D. (1992) from the University of California, Berkeley, in the same field. I also spent two years in an NIH-funded postdoctoral research position in endocrinology (studying obesity, diabetes, metabolism, and exercise) at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (1993-1994).

Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM) - 1996 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Young Investigator Grant Award 2003 Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, Old Dominion University Chapter 2004-Present Great Women of the 21st Century by the American Biographical Institute 2005 Edition Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Largest Research Grant Award 2006 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Publications Award (for greatest number) 2006 Saint Louis University, The Max K. Horwitt Memorial Lecture Distinguished Lectureship Award 2008 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Publications Award 2009 Old Dominion University Darden College of Research Grants Award 2009

I have consulted for numerous groups, including Can-Am Care, Numera|Social, California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training(about candidates with diabetes), Animas Corporation (an insulin pump company), Therasense, Inc. (makers of the Freestyle blood glucose meters), Council of Healthcare Advisors, and the City of Chesapeake (Virginia) Health Department.