Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/high sugar moreso now...

I am 53, post menopausal, panic disorder type 2 diabetic, hyoperstensive/overweight 218 lbs and I AM SCARED TO DEATH I have shook like a nervous wreck for a week as I started back checking sugar daily (quit many months) and it has stayed 250-401 any time of the day in spite of these nmeds.Glipizide Xl 10 mg, Metformin 1000mg twicw a day. Lantus 50 u in mornings, and Humalog sklide scakle (that I just began).  Well the Humalog is supposed to be fast acting, but 2 or more hrs later I am still high. I am under ginormou stress being my 93 yr old mama caregiver and she has now developed some dementia- I have no help with her so I have focused hard on her dioabtees and ignored myself. I sleep in increments nightly of 5 or 6 hrs...I sit up till usually 2al *I call mytime( and I am not seeing the best results either with my Tranxene anxiety meds as Dr says just 1 or 2 piulls A WEEK (he is Pakistani n doesnt belive in benzodiaepines) plus a yr and a half back my brother went in for a simple neck verterbrae surgery and died...a hige blow as he was my helper wih Mom and helped money wise and he couldnt even go to the funeral or grave...ever...it is killing us both...I have ate as I want to-paying no attention till this week when I suddenly "woke up" when I seen the never ending super high numbers. My Dr says that is unacceptable and does nothing. My last 1ac a month ago was 10.3% and for 4 yrs  they have been mainly 8.5%.  I am very edgy and want  to cry a lot...this week and even now as I type. I am diabled with back/neck issues so I just draw a ting SSi check for that and I have 3 kids in college (In their 20's) that I raised myself mainly and all live at home.  I am perplexed at this...I do not feel sick to warrant an infection--just fluid in ears all time...today I called the diabetic educator (RN) and told this all and she said though I had gained 10 pounds I had not eaten enough at meals and even skips lunch...so she made suggestions...I ate them for my breakfast after we hung up then 2 hrs later sugar was 325-later on as day went up to 398 then back to 225 then now 200 in spite of Humalog 5 units with dinner.  I have just started Humalog this week-I had it awhile but feared weight gainlnow I have ate like a horse and gained 10 pounds.  Can my type 2 have turned to type 1? I ask casue she said my pancreas may have stopped making insulin at all casusing this all time high readings...then I heard that and panicked-I belong to a gym n can hardly ever go and when I do I can barely use anything for neck and back pain are worse and when I do I sit and peddal 20 min and that is it...I know ua re not a MD but please explain to me-I have had highs many manytimes...just never till now has 350 been exceeded...

At some point in the course of type 2 diabetes when blood glucose levels are not well controlled, it is possible that your body's ability to make insulin can be greatly reduced or mostly lost.  It doesn't mean you're "type 1" because the onset is different, but it does mean that you'll need to take supplemental insulin.  

However, whatever you can do to lower your body's insulin needs will be helpful in managing your blood glucose levels and make it so whatever insulin you do take works more effectively.  It sounds like a number of factors currently are making you very resistant to insulin, both your own remaining insulin and injected insulin.  Not getting enough sleep increases insulin resistance, as does mental/emotional stress, not getting much physical activity, eating the wrong foods, gaining weight, etc.

I would suggest starting with some simple lifestyle changes as you are able to start lowering your blood glucose numbers.  If possible, simply stand up as much as you can every day and take more steps or move however you can.  Even try stretching and deep breathing to relax.  Muscles take up blood glucose without insulin when they contract.  Also, take a look at your diet and cut back on refined foods--such as things made with white flour and sugar--and see if you can get more natural foods into your diet.  Not only will that help lower your blood glucose levels, but it also will supply your body with essential nutrients that will help your body deal with stress better.  Finally, make getting more sleep a priority. You want to be there for your mother and your kids, but on your current path there's no guarantee that you'll be around to do that.

I also have a lot of information about lifestyle changes for free on my web site at www.shericolberg.com.  I would suggest you look there for additional ideas.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD

I am an exercise physiologist with a PhD who specializes in diabetes--as such I CANNOT answer general questions about other endocrine problems as I am neither an expert in all areas of endocrinology nor am I a medical doctor. My expertise lies in answering questions about diabetes (of any type) and physical activity, so please limit your questions to those areas. I can help you if you want to begin exercise or if you're already a diabetic athlete, and I am prepared to respond to questions about physical activity to which even your diabetologist may not know the answer. I can give suggestions about changes in your diabetic medications that differing types and intensities of exercise may necessitate, but I will have to refer you to your regular health care team to get final approval to make such changes. I can also answer questions about physical fitness, exercise metabolism, prediabetes reversal, and prevention of type 2 diabetes and diabetic complications.

I have both personal and professional experience in the areas of diabetes and exercise/physical activity. On a personal level, I have had type 1 diabetes since 1968, and I have been an avid exerciser since I was a child. Professionally, I have been conducting clinical studies on diabetes and exercise since 1992, largely with funding from the American Diabetes Association. I am also the author of 8 books related to diabetes, exercise, and more: The Diabetic Athlete (2001), Diabetes-Free Kids (2005), The 7 Step Diabetes Fitness Plan (2006), 50 Secrets of the Longest Living People with Diabetes (2007), The Science of Staying Young (2007), Matt Hoover's Guide to Life, Love, and Losing Weight (2008), Diabetic Athlete's Handbook (2009), and Diabetes? No Problema! (2009).

I am a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine, a professional member of the American Diabetes Association (and professional volunteer for the ADA), and a former member of the Board of Directors of the Diabetes Exercise & Sports Association.

I have published research and review articles in the following journals and magazines: Diabetes Care, Diabetes, Journal of Diabetes & Its Complications, Diabetes Self-Management, Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, Journal of Applied Physiology, The Physician and Sportsmedicine, Journal of Clinical Investigation, International Journal of Obesity, FASEB Journal, The Diabetes Educator, Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, Clinical Exercise Physiology, Clinical Diabetes Reviews, Insulin, ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal, Biomechanics, On the Cutting Edge, Diabetes Technology & Therapeutics, Microvascular Research, Drug Benefit Trends, ACSM Certified News, Diabetes Health, SportEX Health, Diabetes Focus, Diabetes In Control, dLife-For Your Diabetes Life, Pediatrics for Parents, and My TCOYD (Taking Control of Your Diabetes) Newsletter. I have also been interviewed in myriad other magazines, such as Men's Health, Men's Fitness, Diabetes Forecast, Countdown Magazine, Joe Weider's Muscle & Fitness, Health, Tidewater Parent, Barron's News, Diabetes New Day, and Newsweek International.

I have an undergraduate degree (1985) from Stanford University, a Master's degree in exercise physiology (1987) from the University of California, Davis, and a Ph.D. (1992) from the University of California, Berkeley, in the same field. I also spent two years in an NIH-funded postdoctoral research position in endocrinology (studying obesity, diabetes, metabolism, and exercise) at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine (1993-1994).

Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine (FACSM) - 1996 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Young Investigator Grant Award 2003 Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, Old Dominion University Chapter 2004-Present Great Women of the 21st Century by the American Biographical Institute 2005 Edition Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Largest Research Grant Award 2006 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Publications Award (for greatest number) 2006 Saint Louis University, The Max K. Horwitt Memorial Lecture Distinguished Lectureship Award 2008 Old Dominion University Darden College of Education Publications Award 2009 Old Dominion University Darden College of Research Grants Award 2009

I have consulted for numerous groups, including Can-Am Care, Numera|Social, California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training(about candidates with diabetes), Animas Corporation (an insulin pump company), Therasense, Inc. (makers of the Freestyle blood glucose meters), Council of Healthcare Advisors, and the City of Chesapeake (Virginia) Health Department.