Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/Managing bld glucose while running competitively with Type 1 diabetes

Question
QUESTION: Hello. My son is a 17 year old type 1 diabetic. He was dx almost 2 years ago. He is on an insulin pump and is very compliant and competent in managing his diabetes. His insulin needs are still changing as he is still growing and maturing so his setting are fequently changing. My son is about to start his senior year in HS. He is a 3 season athlete, running cross country, winter and spring track. He is having a big problem managing his blood sugar during runs, especially long fast runs. His dr has made several recommendations but what generally worked in the past no longer works. Currently, he is suspending one our prior to and during the run, having carbs ( Gatorade or chomps) and an extend bar prior to a run, giving  40 percent of a typical bonus one hr prior to a run. He also keeps an 80 percent temp basal for 10 hrs post exercise.  Last night he started the run at 220   and still dropped to 64 one and a half miles in. Then after the run his sugar is high again!He is depressed and frustrated. I have been on the computer and phone for 4 hrs trying to find someone in the area with expertise in this area. We live in Northern NJ. Any advice or referrals you could make would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Barbra Seltzer

ANSWER: Barbra,
  It is difficult to keep making adjustments from year-to-year as things change for your son.  It sounds like he needs a smaller bolus before his run, or maybe he can get by without one at all and just eat less (most cross country races are only 5K, meaning he doesn't need that many carbs during it).  Usually, having less insulin on board during the event (while still having a small amount) will help prevent lows during events lasting less than an hour (longer events require more food intake).  It's easier to correct a high afterwards than get low during the event and have that affect his performance.  He could just try suspending his pump during the run and not before and not take a bolus at all.  Boluses are just a lot of insulin at once compared to basal insulin dosing.
  There are a lot of runners out there that may be able to make additional suggestions.  Also, if you haven't read "Diabetic Athlete's Handbook," that may help explain some of the physiology better and give some athlete examples.  You can find out more info about that book on my web site at www.shericolberg.com.  Hope this helps.  Sheri

QUESTION: Hi Sheri. Thank you so much for your prompt response . I think Jacob is already doing everything you suggested except he does Bolus if eating or if high prior to a run but at 50 percent if within 2 hrs of exercising. Are you suggesting he not bolus at all prior to exercise? And if so within what time frame? We visited your website and plan on ordering your book. Do you have any contact info for diabetic runners who might be able to help us ?
Thank you again!

Barbra

Answer
Barbra,
  I would not have him bolus within two hours of running, given the low he experienced at his last meet.  If he does that, he may not want to suspend his pump quite as early, though.  I know a few marathoners.  One is Missy Foy, who has a running blog at http://www.missyfoy.com.  You may try contacting her through her site.  Also, the group called Insulindependence.org (web site at same) is a community of many diabetic athletes.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD