Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/sugar

Question
Hello,
   I am 63 and diagnosed last year as diabetic (blood sugar 145-150 etc).  I also have gastroparisis and the doctor has me on Metheltrexate and put me on Medforman.  Since then my blood sugar has been normal.  I asked the doctor to take me off Medforman and he said "Why do you think your blood sugar is normal?"  He had no advice about weight (which is normal) or stopping sugar.   So I have been eating a lot of candy and cake and my blood sugar is normal.  My diabetic friends say I should not eat sugar even if the bs is normal. I also asked the doctor about if I should get a glucometer and he had no advice.   What do you think?

Answer
Don,
  Your diabetes may be well controlled at the moment, but since you did have elevations before you went on medications, there's no reason to try to "overeat" your medications.  Diabetes never really goes away fully, and if your meds start working less well or your lifestyle puts a bigger burden on your insulin needs, your blood glucose can certainly start increasing.  Also, it's not just the AM blood glucose that matters; how high your glucose spikes after meals can also affect whether you develop complications over the long haul.  Even if your AM values are good, eating a lot of candy and cake may cause big spikes after you eat them that you just aren't measuring.  For that reason, it may be good to get a glucometer and check for yourself the effects of eating different things and exercising.  Checking before and an hour after eating can catch those post-meal spikes.  Metformin is likely just keeping your AM blood glucose levels under control, nothing else.  I do have lots of info about making healthy lifestyle changes to help manage blood glucose levels without a lot of medications on my web site and blogs (www.shericolberg.com), so feel free to read those as well.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD