Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/PCOS and Glucose/Insulin levels

Question
I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 15 (now 42).  I have gained quite a bit of weight and although I am pretty active, I don’t really do a lot of actual “exercise.”

I recently had a physical and my physician ran some blood work (A1C test) and the result was 6.9.  Glucose was 96 after fasting, but he said it appears my sugar goes up and has trouble going back down.  So, I have to monitor my glucose (1x a day) now and increase my metformin to 2 pills a day and go back in 90 days for more blood work.  He also says to cut out carbs, eat 30% less and eat smaller meals more often.  

By the way, I received my monitor today and tested it at 3pm.  The result was 140. The only thing I’ve eaten today was 2 eggs, 2 pieces of toast and an orange juice for breakfast at 10:30am.  
What am I suppose to do when my glucose is high.   Most importantly, what is this blood glucose and how does it work?  In simple easy to understand terms, please. I have done so much research and I am having a lot of trouble just trying to understand how all this (glucose, insulin, etc) stuff works.

My question is what should I be eating?  I’ve been watching what I eat and it seems everything has carbs and if it doesn’t have carbs and doesn’t have calories (i.e. pickles) it has tons of sodium.

Answer
Tammy,

I don't know if your physician told you, but an A1C of 6.9% puts you in the "diabetic" range (which starts at 6.5%).  He already has you on metformin, but you may need to consider using other medications to lower it if changing your diet/lifestyle does not work.  

As far as what to eat goes, you can eat some carbs, but you just need to try to pick ones that don't spike your blood glucose.  Basically, all carbs eventually get digested into glucose, which ends up the blood first before it can used as a fuel around the body (particularly for the brain and nerves).  Some of it usually gets stored as glycogen in muscles for use during exercise, and a smaller amount is stored in the liver (the organ that either stores or releases glucose to keep your blood glucose levels normal).  Generally, the more processed carbs are (white flour, white sugar, white rice, etc.), the faster they raise your blood glucose.  Think of them as being partially predigested for you by the manufacturer.  The more you can eat foods close to their natural state, the better off you'll be.  Also, you may want to limit your intake of carbs to no more than 40 percent of your daily calories (which you can track online using SuperTracker.gov or a program like MyFitnessPal.com).

At rest, your body's main mechanism for taking excess glucose out of blood and storing it elsewhere is the hormone called insulin.  Your insulin doesn't normally work well (that's the definition of insulin resistance), so it takes more to get the job done, or when you have diabetes, it's not getting the job done well enough. When your blood glucose is high, the only natural recourse you have to lower it is to exercise.  When you're active, your muscles can take up blood glucose as a fuel without needing any insulin to do so.  Try seeing if you can add in some resistance/weight training as well as that really helps you retain muscle and keep your carb storage capacity higher.  I have lots of tips about how to make these lifestyle changes on my web site at www.shericolberg.com.  I hope you can find info there that helps you.  Sheri  

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD