Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/diabetes and smoking

Question
Hi Sheri, I wasn't sure if this type of question was off limits, but I have been type 1 diabetic for 25 years, and I am age 41 now.  I am stable and have no physical issues, have my feet, legs, kidneys, and am a very active person.  I have participated in bodybuilding for the past year on and off, and enjoy hiking and being very active, so doing well.  I know you are not a doc, but have you heard anything on diabetics and smoking?  I have never smoked, but my husband has started again after I told him I would not marry a smoker.  He goes outside because I don't want in in the home, but I can smell the smoke a mile away, and it drives me nuts.  A long time ago I heard diabetics should stay away from cigarette smoke because it can cause issues, such as shrinking their veins.  My question is, have you ever heard anything like that?  I almost throw up when I smell smoke. Thank you!

Answer
Mollie,
  When I was a teenager, my diabetes doctor told me that if I were to smoke, I would die.  It's bad for everyone (obviously), but especially bad for PWD to be around.  All of the contaminants in smoke--even second-hand smoke--cause inflammation, and the nicotine restricts blood flow to your hands and feet.  If you want to have a lot of diabetes complications and/or die early, hang around your husband when he smokes or take it up yourself.  (Sorry to be blunt, but that's the truth.)  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD