Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/Blood Sugar Levels

Question
QUESTION: Dear Dr. Colberg,

I monitor my gluc levels with the One Touch Ultra 2 glucometer.  I have it calibrated correctly.  

I am a 40 y/o active male, eat healthy, and am probably 18% body fat...so I could lose maybe 5 lbs of belly fat even though I do not look chubby, fat, or anything like that...I'm just not a stick (thin).

My gluc levels are pretty consistent and even...even after a meal.  The highest I've ever seen it was 161, and that was right after playing a couple hours of tennis and having chocolate milk.  It's almost always about 83 prior to bed time.  

Most of the time when I wake up it's about 85-90 but sometimes it will be 100, even 110 once when measured at the hospital after 12 hour of fasting.  These times it's 100 when I wake up it is always around 83 before sleeping.  

Is it a concern that it is increasing (sometimes) when I sleep? It's even longer since food's been eaten so I am concerned about the rise in gluc levels when I wake up.  Again, it's not every day, but often enough.  

Thanks,
James

ANSWER: What you mentioned is a fairly common phenomenon--elevated fasting blood glucose levels.  For some reason, in many people their livers overproduce glucose overnight.  The liver is normally responsible for keeping blood glucose levels constant during the day and particularly overnight when you go 8 or more hours without eating.  The only things I know of that may have an effect on fasting levels (to keep them lower) are drinking an alcoholic beverage in the evening (like a glass of wine) as alcohol interferes with glucose production by the liver and taking melatonin as an over-the-counter supplement at bedtime.  in people with diabetes or prediabetes (the fasting range for the latter is 110-125 mg/dl), a medication called Metformin is often prescribed that also appears to lower glucose production by the liver overnight.  It sounds like you may be doing what you need to with your lifestyle, although losing a bit of your belly fat would probably help as well.  Sheri

QUESTION: Thank you very much for the explanation Dr. Colberg!  :)   It helped shed light on something I knew nothing about.  So if my gluc levels are fine throughout the day (and they are...I've bee checking quite often to see where I'm at and if I'm at risk for diabetes), and sometimes up to 110 when I wake up, despite being maybe 75-85 when I go to bed, would you say I'm "pre-diabetic" or normal?  My wake up gluc levels isn't always 110.  Over the last few days here's a sample of what they've been: 110, 84, 85, 88, 91, 99, 102,  84, 92, 98, 93, 101, 103, 92, 97, 89, 107.  As you can see mostly at or under 100, with a couple at or near 110.  But it's almost always 10-20 points higher than when I go to bed (and I don't eat in my sleep lol).  

Anyway I GREATLY appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

Sincerely,
James

Answer
James,
  I wouldn't be too concerned at this point, although it is something to watch over time.  Many people develop just high fasting blood glucose levels and do fine during the day.  Home blood glucose meters are somewhat inaccurate, so you can't swear by the numbers that you're seeing.  At some point, as your doctor to run an A1C test when you have a checkup because that gives feedback on your overall BG readings over 2-3 months.  Try to keep your belly fat down, too, as that can contribute to the rise in fasting BG levels.  I have lots of article about making useful lifestyle changes on my web site (www.shericolberg.com) that may help you to look through some time as well.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD