Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/Insulin Resistance

Question
Sheri
I have all the symptoms of metabolic syndrome or insulin resistance. My weight keeps creeping up in spite of eating less and exercising more. I do all the right dietary stuff but it doesnt help. Diabetes does run in my family, in fact my aunts and uncles who had it, all died early. I am probably lucky I have not developed full blown diabetes because of my diet and exercise.
I want to try taking Metaformin to see if it helps. It has a lot of good reviews especially for stubborn weight loss. My doctor is hesitant to prescribe it, as I am not actually diabetic. I dont think he believes me when I say that I do eat correctly and exercise. Do you think I should press him to get me on metaformin, or should I try something else? Thanks!

Answer
Bud,

I'm an exercise physiologist, not a medical doctor, so I really can't give you any medication advice.  They do put people with prediabetes and insulin resistance on metformin, so if you have a test with either an elevated fasting blood glucose or elevated A1C, you would probably be able to get prescribed some by a doctor.  Just take a vitamin B complex supplement if you do since metformin can cause vitamin B12 deficiency over time.  Just living a healthy lifestyle will help you a lot, regardless of what your blood glucose levels do.  There are also some diabetes meds out there now that promote weight loss, so it may be possible to get on one of those.

Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD