Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/Blood sugar meds

Question
QUESTION: Hello,
  I am 65 and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 2 years ago.  The doctor put me on 1 Medformin then when that didn't bring down the blood sugars of 250-300 he told me to take 2.  That didn't work either.  Although my doctor's specialty is diabetes he doesn't seem to treat it aggressively and keeps putting it off. He is very concerned about my B12 levels being so low.  I looked it up and it says Medformin can do that but the doctor didn't know.   My blood sugar this morning was 385.  I told the doctor ahead of my Wednesday appointment. He told me to look up diabetes medicine and tell him which one I want to be on.  I don't know anything about this.  Can you give me advice about any new drugs that have promise so I can recommend it to him to prescribe?

ANSWER: Don,

I am not a doctor, so I cannot make recommendations regarding medication. However, did your doctor discuss with you the importance of diet and exercise? If not, I will be happy to help you get your glucose levels down with diet, exercise and Metformin.

Barb

QUESTION: My wife is a dietitian and is helping me with diet.  I am not overweight by any means.  I walk briskly at least 3x a week for 3 miles.  I take 1000 mg Medformin each day.  I don't know what else I can do.  Do you?

Answer
Don,

I'm at a loss. If you're eating less than 150 grams of carbohydrates a day, with no more than 25 at any meal or snack and you're still having high readings, you might want to see an endocrinologist. There may be something else going on.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Barb

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Barb