Endocrinology (including Diabetes)/medications

Question
Hello,
  I am 65 and diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 2 years ago.  The doctor put me on 1 Medformin then when that didn't bring down the blood sugars of 250-300 he told me to take 2.  That didn't work either.  Although my doctor's specialty is diabetes he doesn't seem to treat it aggressively and keeps putting it off. He is very concerned about my B12 levels being so low.  I looked it up and it says Medformin can do that but the doctor didn't know.   My blood sugar this morning was 385.  I told the doctor ahead of my Wednesday appointment. He told me to look up diabetes medicine and tell him which one I want to be on.  I don't know anything about this.  Can you give me advice about any new drugs that have promise so I can recommend it to him to prescribe?

Answer
Don,

I am not a medical doctor and cannot give you any advice about medications.  I can tell you, though, that having a blood glucose of 385 is WAY too high, and it needs to be treated with something other than metformin, which can cause vitamin B12 deficiency.

One option is insulin, but there are certainly other newer medications out there that can help control blood glucose and lower body weight.  It also helps to be more physically active and modify your diet to contain fewer carbohydrate-based foods that are digested quickly (like most things made with white flour and white sugar).

It may depend on what medications Medicare is willing to cover since you're 65.  I really can't tell you that, though.  You may want to look into some of the injected medications (besides insulin) that can promote some weight loss: http://www.joslin.org/info/Spotlight_on_New_Diabetes_Treatments.html.

Hope this helps.  Sheri

Endocrinology (including Diabetes)

Sheri Colberg, PhD