Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Mineral Leasing

Question
We have lineral rights in east Texas. We have been contacted by two leasing agents with different offers for some of the rights. One offered $300/acre and 3/16ths, the other $1,000/acre and 1/5th. Another mineral rights owner in the section is insisting on leasing to the lease agent with the lowest offer, at least the offer is lower to us. They have a smaller acreage than us. Can we still lease our rights to the lease agent with the higher offer? What happens if we just don't accept the lease?

Answer
You can lease (or not lease) to whomever you like no matter what your neighbor does, but once you've made a deal with someone you should keep your word of course.

If you don't "accept" a lease offer they may decide to leave you out of the unit entirely by excluding your acreage from their well. They would much rather lease you though in most cases.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott