Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Partition of Mineral Classified Land

Question
Is it legal to partition mineral classified land already in production in Texas?
Because of the uniqueness of the Relinquishment Act and the rights it gives to surface owners,
wouldn't a partition be unfair for multiple owners if there is future drilling, limiting their mineral interests to only the newly partitioned land?

Answer
Hello Julie.  Yes, the surface of Relinquishment Act Land in Texas can be partitioned.  Co-Tenants have an absolute right of partition even though they may be the State's agents for leasing purposes.  Whether the land can be partitioned in such a manner that the partition is fair to all involved is a question that the court would have to address.  If the land cannot be equitably apportioned the court can order that the land be sold, which I have seen happen in a partition involving Relinquishment Act lands.  

Good luck Julie and let me know if you have any other questions.  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

David B. McCall