Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Value of Mineral Deck

QUESTION: I am with a law firm that has filed a probate in WI.  The deceased has mineral rights in TX.  I am told they cannot give me a value of the rights, which I will need for my inventory.  Do you have any idea how to obtain a value? Thanks!

ANSWER: Angie,mi know people who can give you an estimated value.  If you want to give me additional information I will try to get you a valuation.

QUESTION: What type of information do you need from me?  

Angie, I need the location of the minerals, and if you have a legal description that would be great.  If you know the net mineral acreage owned, whether the minerals are leased or not, or if there is production revenue, would be most helpful.  Also, any  information as to when the minerals were last leased, and the bonus paid for the lease.  Finally, if the minerals are producing, information as to monthly income over the last year or so would be helpful.  You can provide this information to me at for privacy purpose.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

David B. McCall

Questions regarding oil and gas exploration and production, the operation and management of oil and gas producing properties, and questions related to mineral ownership, title problems, and oil and gas leases.

I am Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in the state of Texas. I have more than 37 years of experience in the industry as both an in house attorney for major oil companies and as a partner in oil and gas firms. I am also a mineral owner and receive royalties from oil and gas production. I have extensive title examination experience, and have represented clients in many administrative and court proceedings.

State Bar of Texas, Texas Bar Foundation, and Austin Bar Foundation.

Various state bar seminars on Oil and Gas matters.

I have a business degree in marketing from McMurry University, 1971, and a JD degree from Texas Tech University in 1974, where I graduated 17th in my class. Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in 1986.