Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Cubic feet to MCF conversion

I think shale gas will create more positive changes in USA then any other new technology in the last decade or more.  Thank you for your help in helping us all understand the industry.  My local paper says one Gulfport well in Ohio's Utica Shale will produce "30.3 million cubic feet of natural gas per day" or 30.3 MCF/day.   My gas bill in the winter is about 10 MCF/month.  Therefore 30.3 MCF x 30 days/month = 909 MCF/month.
909 MCF/month divided by 10 MCF/month or 90.9 homes could be heated in the winter?   Big woppiee.   What's wrong with the measurement units?  They can't be off by a million 90.9 million homes from one well?

Mike Juppe

30.3 million cubic feet = 30,300 MCF, not 30.3 MCF. 30,300 MCF could heat about 90,900 homes per month assuming they use 10 MCF per month.

MCF means "thousand cubic feet" so multiply 30,300 X 1000 and you get 30,300,000. Similarly, dividing 30.3 million (or 30,300,000) by 1000 gives you 30,300.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written articles of interest to mineral rights owners which have appeared in various industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and land and title work over the past ten years, and have also worked as a professional landman. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)