Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/NPRI Owner

What is the benefit of ratifying an oil, gas, and mineral lease as an Non-Participating Royalty owner in Texas?

Hello Lisa.   A non-participating royalty interest owner is often asked to ratify an oil and gas lease for the purpose of subjecting the royalty interest to the pooling provisions of an oil and gas lease.  The executive (holder of the leasing rights) does not have the authority to bind the non participating owner to a pooling clause that would dilute his/her interest without consent.  Without a ratification, the non participating royalty owner would share in lese production only if the well was located on the tract that is burdened by the royalty interest.  With the ratification, the non executive will normally share in production from any tract covered by the lease, depending upon the wording of the lease.  These are the general rules.

Good luck Lisa and let me know if you have any other questions.  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

David B. McCall

Questions regarding oil and gas exploration and production, the operation and management of oil and gas producing properties, and questions related to mineral ownership, title problems, and oil and gas leases.

I am Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in the state of Texas. I have more than 37 years of experience in the industry as both an in house attorney for major oil companies and as a partner in oil and gas firms. I am also a mineral owner and receive royalties from oil and gas production. I have extensive title examination experience, and have represented clients in many administrative and court proceedings.

State Bar of Texas, Texas Bar Foundation, and Austin Bar Foundation.

Various state bar seminars on Oil and Gas matters.

I have a business degree in marketing from McMurry University, 1971, and a JD degree from Texas Tech University in 1974, where I graduated 17th in my class. Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in 1986.