Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/ratification of oil and gas lease

Question
Our lease was signed by my mother (now deceased) in August 2005.  The primary term was 5 years.  We received a ratification of the oil and gas lease to sign.  The original lease stated the percentage of 1/8 or 12.5% which was customary at the time but is higher now.  The wells are producing and we are being paid royalties.  It it possible to renegotiate a higher percentage or do we have to sign the ratification and keep the 12.5%

Answer
Check witn an oil and gas attorney, but my feeling is it's unlikely you'll be able to negotiate anything different since the lease is now "held by production." You don't HAVE to sign the ratification of course but I doubt that would improve your situation either since you'll still be bound by the lease terms your mother agreed to.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub
www.mineralhub.com

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott