Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Three years into a five-year lease

Question
My sister and I have ten acres in Loving County Texas, NW/2S/4 of Section 2, Block 1, W & NW RR Co, survey. We have the mineral rights leased and are almost 3 years in a 5 year lease with no activity. As far as we know, there is no drilling activity and there has been no production.
We have been approached to sell the land for 3 thousand an acre and are seriously considering the offer, but would like to know if it is a reasonable offer. From what I see on the internet (mineral forums and such) worth is very subject to location. We would apreciate your opinion on this matter.

Answer
Anadarko, Chesapeake, Cimarex, Energen, and Shell Western all currently have permits to drill in your part of the county, so it's a pretty busy area actually. I suspect that your lease will be drilled before it expires if it's leased to one of these companies (or their representative.) $3000/acre may be a good offer, then again it may not be. Hard to tell without letting others have a crack at them if you are really wanting to sell.

As always, if you're considering selling, I would suggest posting them for sale on my website, the Mineral Hub (link below.) If you are seriously considering selling these, posting them for sale on the Mineral Hub will get you a lot of exposure to potential buyers.

We could price them at $3500/acre for instance, and see what happens. If someone offered that you'd be $500/acre ahead of your current offer. We could also price them as "make offer" but I think putting a price on them is a better idea as they'd attract more interest that way. Up to you, and I'm not pushing you to sell either. You might check the Texas Railroad Commission website to see if there's actually a drilling permit on your lease currently, or you could of course contact your lessee to see what their plans are, if any.

http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/index.php (Texas Railroad Commission link)

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott