Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Old mineral rights


Dear Fredrick

I have some old paperwork that belonged to my late father and husband regarding mineral rights for properties in Texas.  I would like to know how I can get more information about them,specifically are they being drilled and if so what are my rights to them.

Thank you


The Texas Railroad Commission has a wealth of information available online concerning oil and gas activity. You can look up such things as drilling permits, production information and completion reports. You'll need the legal description in order to do that.

As to "what your rights to them" are, you'll probably want to visit the county clerk's office in the county in Texas where the mineral rights are located and look through their index book for your father's name to make sure he didn't sell them prior to his death. You could also find the exact legal description there if you don't have it handy and then could use the site above to find out if they've been drilled or not.

All the records pertaining to your father's and husband's ownership/sale of these mineral rights should be on file there, and perhaps they even have their land records available online. You can call the county clerk's office and ask, and even if they are not online they can explain how to get started with a search of their records if they have time (though it's not necessarily their job to educate you.) Just ask them nicely and they will probably be willing to help.

You can also check out my blog entry entitled How Can I Locate Who Owns the Mineral Rights Under My Land? for more info about how to search the records for ownership info at the local county clerk or abstractor's office.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Frederick M. Scott


Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.


I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written articles of interest to mineral rights owners which have appeared in various industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and land and title work over the past ten years, and have also worked as a professional landman. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]