Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Old mineral rights

Question
Dear Fredrick

I have some old paperwork that belonged to my late father and husband regarding mineral rights for properties in Texas.  I would like to know how I can get more information about them,specifically are they being drilled and if so what are my rights to them.

Thank you

Melody

Answer
The Texas Railroad Commission has a wealth of information available online concerning oil and gas activity. You can look up such things as drilling permits, production information and completion reports. You'll need the legal description in order to do that.

As to "what your rights to them" are, you'll probably want to visit the county clerk's office in the county in Texas where the mineral rights are located and look through their index book for your father's name to make sure he didn't sell them prior to his death. You could also find the exact legal description there if you don't have it handy and then could use the site above to find out if they've been drilled or not.

All the records pertaining to your father's and husband's ownership/sale of these mineral rights should be on file there, and perhaps they even have their land records available online. You can call the county clerk's office and ask, and even if they are not online they can explain how to get started with a search of their records if they have time (though it's not necessarily their job to educate you.) Just ask them nicely and they will probably be willing to help.

You can also check out my blog entry entitled How Can I Locate Who Owns the Mineral Rights Under My Land? for more info about how to search the records for ownership info at the local county clerk or abstractor's office.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott