Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Orphan Wells in Texas

Can a well (API 38930447) listed by the Texas RRC as an "Orphan Well" still hold the original lease? The Lessor was the State of Texas, there has been no production reported for 10+ years, the last known operator (RE-OP Corp)is listed as delinquent, and has not filed anything with the state since 2000. The wellbore status is listed as open, temp. abandoned and on schedule.  Any info that you may provide will be appreciated, Thanks---

Hello Lonnie.  Orphaned wells are inactive non-compliant wells that have been inactive a minimum of 12 months, and the responsible operator's Organizational Report (Form P-5) has been delinquent for greater than 12 months. Unless this old lease is being held by production from some other well, I do not believe that the orphan well described by you would maintain the original lease.

Good luck Lonnie and let me know if you have any other questions.  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

David B. McCall

Questions regarding oil and gas exploration and production, the operation and management of oil and gas producing properties, and questions related to mineral ownership, title problems, and oil and gas leases.

I am Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in the state of Texas. I have more than 37 years of experience in the industry as both an in house attorney for major oil companies and as a partner in oil and gas firms. I am also a mineral owner and receive royalties from oil and gas production. I have extensive title examination experience, and have represented clients in many administrative and court proceedings.

State Bar of Texas, Texas Bar Foundation, and Austin Bar Foundation.

Various state bar seminars on Oil and Gas matters.

I have a business degree in marketing from McMurry University, 1971, and a JD degree from Texas Tech University in 1974, where I graduated 17th in my class. Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in 1986.