Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/royalty entitlement

I have 20 acres in Johnson/Tarrant County in Texas.  I have my rights leased thru XTO and one acre leased thru Chesapeake. I have noticed that there are 8 wells located within 1/2 of my property thru Chesapeake. I get 25% royalties, not from the 8 wells but for the 3 that XTO control.  One pad site is on my property and the other is about 1/2 mile down the road.  My question is, am I entitled to royalties on the 8 well if they are within a 1/2 mile of me. I had read on the RRC site once a few years ago that if wells were within a one mile radius of your property that you were entitled to royalties of those wells.

Hello Peggy.  You cannot tell from the proximity of wells whether you are entitled to production from that well.  As far as I know, there is no rule that would entitle you to production from a well if it is within a 1 / 2 mile of your property.  I think if you were entitled to production  from these wells that someone would have contacted you some time ago.  If you want to be sure about his, I would contact an attorney in your area to review your specific situation.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

David B. McCall

Questions regarding oil and gas exploration and production, the operation and management of oil and gas producing properties, and questions related to mineral ownership, title problems, and oil and gas leases.

I am Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in the state of Texas. I have more than 37 years of experience in the industry as both an in house attorney for major oil companies and as a partner in oil and gas firms. I am also a mineral owner and receive royalties from oil and gas production. I have extensive title examination experience, and have represented clients in many administrative and court proceedings.

State Bar of Texas, Texas Bar Foundation, and Austin Bar Foundation.

Various state bar seminars on Oil and Gas matters.

I have a business degree in marketing from McMurry University, 1971, and a JD degree from Texas Tech University in 1974, where I graduated 17th in my class. Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in 1986.