Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Finding Mineral Rights

Question
Good evening Mr. Scott.  Back in the 80s my father owned some mineral rights in West Virginia.  He lost around $1,000,000 trying to drill a well and struck nothing.  When he passed, I was not aware of the location where these right were.  My question is, how can I find mineral rights in West Virginia?  Do you know any way to find this from another state?  Also any ideas on what it would cost to have someone search 55 counties in West Virginia?  Thank you for your time.

Answer
Wow. 55 counties! If you could narrow it down that would certainly simplify things. Best thing to do would be to check if any of the counties have their records available online and start there. If not online, you'd likely want to hire a landman to search the county records for your father's name. You could also contact a local abstract office, who would do the same for a fee.

There is an article available on my website (below) that might also help you out should you decide to travel there and search yourself. Look for the Mineral Hub Dispatch link.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott