Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Lease ownership

My siblings and I are trying to establish proof of ownership of a mineral rights lease in North Dakota that was left to our mother (deceased) by her ex husband (deceased).  The leasing companies want to lease to us but they are asking for the ex husbands will and/or probate records in order to proceed.  We need these documents so that we, as heirs, can get the rights transferred to our names.  
So far we have been unable to locate these docs on our own.  The clerk in the county court has told us that we can search there in person. We live in California and it is prohibitive for us to get to North Dakota.
Do you think we should hire someone to search for us?  If so what type of person do you recommend?  Do you think we should hire an attorney? What specialty?
Thank you,

Hello Marian.  I do suggest that you hire someone to do this search for you.  I think a landman could do a good job for you.  Once you locate the documents through a landman search, I would suggest that you hire an attorney to review these documents and help you through the leasing process.  If possible, you should hire an oil and gas attorney to help you.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

David B. McCall

Questions regarding oil and gas exploration and production, the operation and management of oil and gas producing properties, and questions related to mineral ownership, title problems, and oil and gas leases.

I am Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in the state of Texas. I have more than 37 years of experience in the industry as both an in house attorney for major oil companies and as a partner in oil and gas firms. I am also a mineral owner and receive royalties from oil and gas production. I have extensive title examination experience, and have represented clients in many administrative and court proceedings.

State Bar of Texas, Texas Bar Foundation, and Austin Bar Foundation.

Various state bar seminars on Oil and Gas matters.

I have a business degree in marketing from McMurry University, 1971, and a JD degree from Texas Tech University in 1974, where I graduated 17th in my class. Board Certified in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law in 1986.