Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Stipulation of Interest

Question
My wife's father owned all of the mineral rights to a quarter section in Colorado.  Her father deeded i/4 of those rights to his second wife.  She had one biological daughter who received those rights upon the passing of her mother.  The other 3/4 of the rights were to go the three biological daughters of my wife's father so that each of the three daughters and the stepdaughter would all have 1/4 share in the overall rights.  The leasing company is saying that the stepdaughter should get 1/4 interest in the 3/4 belonging to the three biological daughters as well as the 1/4 interest willed to her.  To straighten this out, the leasing company is requiring a now requiring that a Stipulation of Interest be made to show that the stepdaughter receive 1/4 interest and the biological daughters each receive 1/4 of the remaining rights.  I can't find a Stipulation of Interest that would help resolve this.  Can you direct me?

Answer
Hello Ron.  You can find a number of stipulation form examples online by doing a google search for stipulation of interest.  I don't recommend that you try to prepare one yourself, however.  Because you are dealing with valuable mineral property, I would recommend that you hire an attorney to do this for you. Better yet, ask the oil company to prepare the stipulation for you.  Many companies will do this as part of their title curative process. If you want to look at an online form, check out www.landman.org/.../aoh-stipintsx-conveyance-brazee-3-1-11-(2).doc‎, at landman.org for a pretty good example.

Good luck Rona and let me know if you have any other questions.  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

David B. McCall