Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Mineral Rights

Question
The family has retained the mineral rights (royalty interest) to 320.79 acres in Campbell County, Wyoming.  The ownership was/is in a Trust for which we now, due to the trustor's death, have to place a value on the rights.  This is needed for estate decisions to be made going forward.  The location of the property is Section 7, Township 54-N, Range 73-W; 160.79 acres [E 1/2 SW 1/4, lot 3 & lot 4 which together are 80.79 acres, NW quarter and SW quarter of SW quarter]; and the SE quarter of Section 12 (160 acres).

During 2014 three companies have paid royalty interest due to their extraction of gas; WPX ENERGY, ANADARKO, and SUMMIT GAS.

Are there reliable "experts" who can value this asset?  Where can I find contacts?

Thank you.

Answer
A decent landman or competent oil and gas attorney in the county where the mineral rights are located would be your best bet, with the landman being the more economical option. If the county clerk in that county requires "tax stamps" to be put on mineral deeds you could also search for sales of mineral rights near yours in that county and attempt to estimate value using the values indicated by the tax stamps on those conveyances (the tax stamps are representative of the value paid.) The county clerk's office may even be able to help you find a suitable landman to do this work for you.

In some areas you may be also able to find a "certified mineral rights appraiser" but this is pretty rare.

Hope this helps you out!
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub
www.mineralhub.com

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott