Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/In-House Landman

Question
Frederick,

I have been an independent field landman for the past 8 years, for the most part, working in various counties in Texas.  I started almost right out of college and the field experience I have gained has been invaluable.  However, working in the field seems to also somewhat limit my experience/exposure to actual job functions of in-house land work such as negotiating farmouts, JOAs, etc.  I am very eager to obtain an in-house landman job because I have a young family now and would like to be able to work closer to home and have a better sense of job security.  I know guys with less experience than me who have been able to get in-house jobs and I know guys with more experience who are still having trouble going in-house.  In your opinion, what is the best way to get an in-house job, if there is one?  Is it more about who you know and/or who knows you?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Warm regards,
Joshua

Answer
I'll wager the people you mentioned who were able to get the coveted "in house" job stood out in some positive way from others who applied, or, perhaps as you said they "knew someone" at the company already, which of course is helpful.

Assuming you don't "know someone" though I'd keep the following in mind: I would be much more likely to hire someone if they came to the interview genuinely interested and excited about working at my company. I would them over someone who I felt was just blasting dozens of companies with resumes hoping one would "stick." I would also hope that they had taken the time prior to our meeting to do some research on my company and its people and thus be able to have a knowledgeable conversation about what we do here, and especially how they might contribute to our overall success, make us more money, save us money etc. You'd be amazed at how many people come to job interviews unprepared, looking like they just woke up, or come with the attitude that you "owe" them a job etc. As you can imagine, those types of applicants are just wasting everyone's time, including of course their own.

And sure, having a great reference from someone already at the company certainly would be a plus too, but many applicants will not have that luxury so must find some way to "stick out" from other job seekers, or perhaps would just try to find a job that's not even been advertised by convincing someone they'd truly be an asset to the company. Of course you have to get a meeting to do that.

Why wait for an ad in the paper? If you find a company you'd like to work for that isn't currently hiring you could just call and ask for an "informational interview" with someone in management at the company. Interview them, as it were. Tell them you are interested in the company and what they do there and would like to talk to them about the duties of their "in house" landmen. At this point it's not a job interview per say, because of course you aren't answering an ad but rather are just gathering information.

An "informational interview" certainly carries with it less pressure than a "job" interview, since you are just gathering information. Still worthwhile to do in my opinion though, especially in a tough job market, because showing genuine interest in a company and what they do will ensure that they will remember you when they are actually hiring...and if you make a good impression at the informational interview, who knows, they might "find" a job for you. Another reason it's good is that you will likely be the only potential new employee they are seeing that day, since you're not answering a "cattle call." Many employers are ALWAYS looking for good people and will make room for those they feel are genuinely interested in working THERE, and can actually tell them why.

There are of course plenty of books on writing resumes etc. but in the end someone who can convince a company they'd be an asset worth having will get the job in the end over someone who may be better qualified but is obviously just looking for a job strictly for the sake of having a job. If you convince them you truly care about the company and want to be a part of it I would think that would help you out in securing the job you want.

If all else fails then of course you can just move to North Dakota (if you can find a place to live that is!) I think even the pizza delivery guys are making ridiculous money up there these days due to all the demand (for pizza and everything else) created by the Bakken oil and gas activity.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM RPL
www.mineralhub.com
The Mineral Hub  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott