Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Mineral rights and intestate succession.

My sisters & I inherited mineral rights through our Dad, which has been passed through heirs his Grandfather,he kept his mineral rights when he sold his property in Norman,Ok and moved his family to California.They had a large family & of course keeping track of so many is difficult.A lease Co has offered a lease to us.I clearly know everything about my fathers family.My mother is still alive & well @ 83 and entitled to a percentage.She is concerned about the shares of my fathers brothers & 1 sister as they died with no will and no living heirs.She asked the women who called and said she wasn't sure how California laws were.I don't understand because my dad didn't have a will and there was no problem. What happens to my aunt & uncles shares? When my grandpa died my dad and each of my uncles & my aunt got a share. They had nobody to pass them on to... where will their shares go? They all died in the 1960's my dad died in 1977.We were the only children born in that ggeneration  Thank you for any advice

The shares your uncles and aunt owned would be distributed according to the laws of "intestate succession" in the state where the minerals are located (Oklahoma)since there was no will. You can find plenty of information about intestate succession laws on the Internet by doing a simple search of the term.

Likely the "shares" of your uncles and aunt would go to you and any other nieces/nephews if they had no other living heirs, but you'd want to check the intestacy laws to be certain, or consult an attorney familiar with Oklahoma intestacy laws.

Hope this helps you out.
Frederick M. "Mick" Scott CMM, RPL
The Mineral Hub  

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott

Oil and gas leasing, lease negotiations, how to best deal with the oil and gas companies or their representatives, buying/selling mineral rights, forced-pooling, correlative rights, deeds and conveyances, and "post-production" costs. I am most experienced with Oklahoma properties and laws, but am able to answer questions concerning other oil and gas producing states in many cases.

I am a Certified Professional Mineral Manager (CMM) certified by the National Association of Royalty Owners (NARO) in Tulsa, OK. I am also a Registered Professional Landman (RPL) with the American Association of Professional Landmen (AAPL). I have managed my family's oil and gas properties in Oklahoma for over 10 years and have dealt with many landmen, title analysts, attorneys and other oil and gas professionals in the process. I have written articles of interest to mineral rights owners which have appeared in various industry magazines and newsletters. I have negotiated and drafted leases, prepared deeds, affidavits, and other legal instruments relating to my own minerals, as well as performed title, legal research, and curative work for same. I have acquired a good deal of knowledge on the subjects of oil and gas law, mineral appraisal, and land and title work over the past ten years, and have also worked as a professional landman. I've seen the business from "both sides" and therefore feel confident I can help out most of the folks who ask questions in this forum.

National Association of Royalty Owners "Action Report" (ROAR); NADOA Magazine, The Mineral Hub, Landman Magazine, and several royalty owner association group's newsletters.

Certified Mineral Manager (CMM), Registered Professional Landman (RPL)