Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)/Questions Answered by Expert Frederick M. Scott

SubjectDate Asked
Oil & Mineral rights - Potter County PA1/10/2017
  Q: Myself along with 4 other relatives were willed just over 200 acres of land in Potter Cty PA the ...
  A: You could check the county clerk's office in the county where the minerals are located and see if ...
Leasing offer9/30/2016
  Q: Scott I received a 3 year lease offer from Fairway Land Company for $500 per mineral acre for 30 ...
  A: David, Fairway may be leasing for "Stonebriar Energy", as I saw several leases filed in their name ...
New company wants well pad on current lease? 10/3/2015
  Q: my Club owns ground in Delmar township in so.east tioga county Pa. We have been leased by Shell for ...
  A: I would wait until the lease expires, then if the new company wants to put a well pad on your ...
Is this well running out of product?7/13/2015
  Q: Scott, My sister and I share aprox 52 acres in Carter County, OK. XTO has been drilling since ...
  A: I took a look and the well seems to still be producing as of March of this year. Looks to be ...
SW/4 SW/4 Lot 8 (S/2 SW/4) Sect 24 T9N R1W 82.5 Acres6/23/2015
  Q: My grandmother earned substantial income off this property through oil and gas lease with Koch and ...
  A: No production in this section since 2002 that I can see. The Shari Lynn well was plugged in 2002. It ...
Working Interest For The Little Guy4/24/2015
  Q: Can I lease my Royalty Interest and keep part of the working interest ? Jan
  A: Yes. The operator may not like it, but you can lease most of your interest and then participate in ...
How do I get Devon to honor TX Muniment of Title?1/27/2015
  Q: Last May a Wilson County Judge signed an order as Muniment of Title, giving us ownership of mineral ...
  A: If MAP, in good faith (i.e. not knowing the cousins may not have had legal title to the minerals at ...
division orders incorrect/statute of limitaions?1/23/2015
  Q: My question is regarding Division Orders in the State of Texas. My deceased former husband had some ...
  A: As you're probably aware, anyone can sue anyone for practically anything. It's whether they "have a ...
Mineral Rights11/4/2014
  Q: The family has retained the mineral rights (royalty interest) to 320.79 acres in Campbell County, ...
  A: A decent landman or competent oil and gas attorney in the county where the mineral rights are ...
pooling question/ unitization10/18/2014
  Q: We have a question about an expired lease being held by a unitization clause. Background info: We ...
  A: The date on the lease document itself (usually near the top) is the effective date, no matter when ...
Mineral rights and intestate succession. 7/14/2014
  Q: My sisters & I inherited mineral rights through our Dad, which has been passed through heirs his ...
  A: The shares your uncles and aunt owned would be distributed according to the laws of "intestate ...
"$10.00 and other good and valuable consideration" meaning?7/3/2014
  Q: I received a cash offer from a company named Cascade Energy, L.P. aka Cascade Acquisition partners, ...
  A: It's fairly common, almost universal really, for mineral deeds to state only a "token" payment of ...
Mineral rights leasing Washita County7/1/2014
  Q: I own mineral rights in Washita County. Can you tell me if there is any interest in the area right ...
  A: The northern part of Washita County is really the only area where there is a lot of current leasing ...
Mineral Rights6/10/2014
  Q: 74 net mineral acres in Williams,ND. Township 155 North,Range96 West,5th PM......Section8 ...
  A: Ballpark? At least $2000/acre would be my educated guess. Also depends on whether they are currently ...
S22 6S 8E Bryan, Finley4/24/2014
  Q: Just wondering if a well was drilled in section 22, 6 south, 8 east , bryan county OK, NW of Durant, ...
  A: No well drilled in that section that I could find, nor are there plans for one that I can see. It ...
Blaine County, Montana4/9/2014
  Q: I currently have 1600 acres if mineral rights in Blaine County Montana. I am looking to sell, what ...
  A: Yes, you can sell them even if they are leased. If sold, the lease would simply apply to the new ...
Washita County Lease Activity3/19/2014
  Q: I own mineral rights in Washita County OK, Sec 3&4, Township 9 North, Range 16 West, and had heard ...
  A: Likely if you haven't been contacted, there isn't any current interest in leasing your mineral ...
MINERAL LEASES IN BLAINE COUNTY, MONTANA3/17/2014
  Q: Many thanks for making yourself available to answer questions from ordinary folk. I am trying to ...
  A: The following link will take you to the lease price sale results from the State's recent lease ...
release of information on drilling status2/17/2014
  Q: My siblings and I own the mineral rights on some property in the Bakken in North Dakota. We leased ...
  A: The "confidential" status is common in ND, so unfortunately unless you are a working-interest owner ...
In-House Landman2/13/2014
  Q: Frederick, I have been an independent field landman for the past 8 years, for the most part, ...
  A: I'll wager the people you mentioned who were able to get the coveted "in house" job stood out in ...
Carter County, OK Activity2/2/2014
  Q: I recently leased my mineral rights for three sections in Carter County, Oklahoma. They are; Section ...
  A: Most of the current drilling activity is to the west and north of you by a few miles, and also out ...
Renewal of Oil and Gas Lease; Top Lease1/24/2014
  Q: Scott: I have an oil and gas lease entered into on March 24, 2009 that is due to expire March 24, ...
  A: Neither of those paragraphs are good for you, especially the five-year extension (unless they had ...
Cubic feet to MCF conversion11/7/2013
  Q: I think shale gas will create more positive changes in USA then any other new technology in the last ...
  A: 30.3 million cubic feet = 30,300 MCF, not 30.3 MCF. 30,300 MCF could heat about 90,900 homes per ...
Bryan County, OK Activity?9/6/2013
  Q: Scott I'll try to keep this short,I have inherited a small amount of property( 9 acres) in Bryan Co. ...
  A: The <a href="http://www.occeweb.com/Orawebapps/OCCOraWebAppsone.html"> Oklahoma Corporation ...
Finding Mineral Rights9/5/2013
  Q: Good evening Mr. Scott. Back in the 80s my father owned some mineral rights in West Virginia. He ...
  A: Wow. 55 counties! If you could narrow it down that would certainly simplify things. Best thing to do ...
Carter County, Okla, Activity8/14/2013
  Q: I own mineral interests in 7.5 acres in Sec 27 only. Since the start of 2013 at least 17 different ...
  A: When 17 companies contact you within six months (whether to lease or to buy0; that would indicate ...
How do I find out what I own? 6/25/2013
  Q: I need to know what interest I have in Sec.2-15N-14W in Custer County in the state of Oklahoma I do ...
  A: Contact the people who gave you the notice. Ask them. If they don't know what you own, then you'll ...
Drilling activity4/30/2013
  Q: I own a a small portion of "pooled" mineral rights in Carter County, Oklahoma..... S/2 NW/4 NE/4 and ...
  A: XTO completed the RHODES 1-21H there in 2012. It's been producing between 1000 and 2000 BO per month ...
Old mineral rights4/17/2013
  Q: I have some old paperwork that belonged to my late father and husband regarding mineral rights for ...
  A: The <a href="http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/data/online/index.php"> Texas Railroad Commission </a> has a ...
Value of mineral rights4/7/2013
  Q: My family owns 1/2 of the mineral rights on 80 acres of property in Mercer County, ND. Township 146 ...
  A: If you're selling them you need to get them in front of some reputable buyers in order to determine ...
Royalty Deed3/27/2013
  Q: What exactly is a royalty deed? How does it effect the land owner ? If,a company is acquiring ...
  A: Minerals (oil and gas anyway) are not actually able to be "owned" separately from the land in ...
oil/natural gas royalty payment3/24/2013
  Q: I have a oil/natural gas lease with Kenyon Energy L.L.C. I live in Rumley Township, Harrison ...
  A: Do you own the mineral rights within the spacing unit of one of these wells? If so, then yes, you ...
Three years into a five-year lease3/21/2013
  Q: My sister and I have ten acres in Loving County Texas, NW/2S/4 of Section 2, Block 1, W & NW RR Co, ...
  A: Anadarko, Chesapeake, Cimarex, Energen, and Shell Western all currently have permits to drill in ...
ratification of oil and gas lease3/11/2013
  Q: Our lease was signed by my mother (now deceased) in August 2005. The primary term was 5 years. We ...
  A: Check witn an oil and gas attorney, but my feeling is it's unlikely you'll be able to negotiate ...
Gas lease terms changed2/27/2013
  Q: When we signed a gas lease in our neighborhood, a group of us joined together to negotiate with ...
  A: Negotiated your property size? You mean you were able to get Devon to pay you a bonus on more ...
estimated $1/16/2013
  Q: I own a very small portion of land in Carter County, Oklahoma. We have leased the land and recently ...
  A: You can figure your potential royalty in a 640-acre drilling and spacing unit thus: Acres owned ...
Mineral rights, Campbell County, WY11/16/2012
  Q: I inherited mineral rights in the Rocky Point, WY area of Campbell County, WY. I am wondering who ...
  A: Not too much leasing activity in the Rocky Point area, but the few who are leasing include Kingsbury ...
Dewey County, OK Activity11/16/2012
  Q: I own portion of some mineral rights in Dewey County, Oklahoma, Section 8, Township 17N, Range 16W. ...
  A: I took a quick look and saw no permit to drill a well in your section, however there is a well ...
Mineral Leasing10/30/2012
  Q: We have lineral rights in east Texas. We have been contacted by two leasing agents with different ...
  A: You can lease (or not lease) to whomever you like no matter what your neighbor does, but once you've ...
Mineral Reservation on Deed9/28/2012
  Q: Mick, The following exception appears on a 1987 deed, prior to which both the surface and the ...
  A: That language in itself does not reserve anything. It simply alerts people to any previous ...
Oil Lease9/18/2012
  Q: I just received a request from Transcontinent OIl Company to lease my 160 acres of oil rights near ...
  A: The fact that they are offering to lease you again a full year before your current lease expires ...
Bryan County mineral rights9/8/2012
  Q: Scott, My 90 year old parents handed me a small stack of papers which included an Oil and Gas Lease ...
  A: Pursue production? I assume you mean "try to get the property leased"? While you can of course drill ...
Oil Lease/Activity9/6/2012
  Q: Mick, I own mineral rights in North Dakota. 162N 97W Sections 29,32,33 161N 97W Sections 4,5 My ...
  A: Diamond Resources (P.O. BOX 1938 WILLISTON, CO 588022), Continental Resources (P.O. BOX 1032 ...
Fractional Tract Interest8/20/2012
  Q: I own a total of 11 mineral acres that were pooled into a 1280 acre tract. The mineral owners ...
  A: You've got me there, frankly. I would think if you owned 11 acres in a 1280-acre unit, your decimal ...
Drilling Activity in Custer Co. Oklahoma8/18/2012
  Q: I have spent a lot of time on the Internet trying to find any information relative to drilling in ...
  A: There is no current permit to drill a well in 12-12-17 or any of the surrounding sections. There is ...
Mineral Rights Interest8/10/2012
  Q: i singed a lease with Chesapeake energy last Oct. tax parcel tm-6,parcel 24 as i own 1/288 interest ...
  A: Likely your state's oil and gas regulatory body has a website where you can search for drilling ...
mineral ownership dispute8/2/2012
  Q: I inherited two mineral ownerships in Alfalfa County and one,(Section 20, Township 27 North, Range ...
  A: They are probably correct in that you don't own them, but if you think you own it for sure then you ...
Line variance7/29/2012
  Q: I'VE RECEIVED MY FIRST ROYALTY CHECK FROM CHESAPEAKE ENERGY - THERE IS A DEDUCTION FOR "LINE ...
  A: Probably just an accounting thing. Perhaps they paid too much on one line last month so they are ...
oil and gas lease7/17/2012
  Q: Could you please tell me what a fair lease amount would be for a pece of property in sect7 6n 7w in ...
  A: Negotiating the lease terms in an oil and gas lease is much like negotiating any other contract. ...
oil/gas leases6/29/2012
  Q: what is a fair price pay for oil/gas leases in lincoln county, oklahoma?
Leasing Mineral rights6/28/2012
  Q: Our family has mineral rights to Section 8, League 300, Terry CSL, Gaines County, TX. Basin Land ...
  A: Without narrowing it down to your specific area of the county I can tell you that some of the major ...
minerals & rolalty's5/13/2012
  Q: our family & other family's were named in a minerals & royalty's law suite against a lot of oil ...
  A: Check the court clerk's records in the county where the case was decided. Outcome should be there. ...
Oil lease %4/25/2012
  Q: My wife and I have an Oil and Gas lease that we are getting monthly royalty payment in North Dakota. ...
  A: You can't "renegotiate" the terms of the current lease. 3/16 is a common royalty, so I'd say it's ...
Mineral Lease in Okla4/24/2012
  Q: I received a mineral lease offer from Lowry Land (representing Chesapeake Exploration LLC) on land ...
  A: $1000/acre? Sounds pretty good to me for this area, but it's probably because there have been at ...
Divide County ND Activity4/22/2012
  Q: I have 320 mineral acres located in Township 163, Range 103, Section 11. It appears on the "find my ...
  A: I sold some mineral rights in your same township a few months ago for over $2000/acre for a family ...
leasing4/12/2012
  Q: Mick, We are interested in leasing 60+ acres in southern Erie County,Pa. We are looking to compare ...
  A: Not too familiar with Erie County, PA, but you might find my <a ...
Ownership of Spraberry Driver3/30/2012
  Q: My grandfather passed down ownership in Spraberry Driver Property. On the monthly interest checks, ...
  A: The royalty check stubs will not directly specify how many acres they are paying you on, but if you ...
WELLS MINERAL RIGHTS3/29/2012
  Q: My grandmother who is now passed has 90 wells in Vandt Zandt County. Everyone is passed except for ...
  A: If she had no will you'll still need to get her estate probated in order for title to vest in her ...
selling working interests3/28/2012
  Q: My father got a call very recently to sell his 100 percent working interest mineral rights (78.125 ...
  A: Short answer: Have an oil and gas attorney look over this proposal. Also, if they are bothering to ...
Oil and Gas Transfer Order3/9/2012
  Q: My Father died a year ago. He had some mineral rights that were originally his Mother's. When she ...
  A: See an attorney about getting your dad's estate probated. He or she could also help with the ...
breaking an oil and gas lease2/28/2012
  Q: When we purchased our property 20 years ago, there were mineral rights that went along with the ...
  A: You will not be able to break the lease (it goes with the mineral rights) unless they are not ...
selling part of property with oil wells2/27/2012
  Q: I own 40 acres of farmland southwest of San Antonio. There are 12 producing oil wells on the ...
  A: I think you'll be selling 25% of your royalty from all 12 wells. Depends on the well spacing. All 40 ...
Questions concerning Shelby County Land2/23/2012
  Q: I'm an heir to almost 13 acres of land in Center Texas. I live in Houston, Texas and I hardly ever ...
  A: I am not in the area (I'm in Oklahoma) but can tell you that the SE portion of Shelby County is ...
Intent to drill Alfalfa County1/30/2012
  Q: I own mineral rights in land located in section 19, township 28 north, range 10 west Alfalfa County ...
  A: Continental applied for a Location Exception (#201-105742) in Section 19. The hearing was January 3. ...
Landowner access bonus1/19/2012
  Q: Is there a guide to (i) the process and (ii) the amount for compensation to a landowner for access ...
  A: You might want to read my <a ...
Oil Lease1/14/2012
  Q: I have been offered a Paid Up Oil Lease. The offer is for $275/acre for a 4 year period with a 19% ...
  A: The bonus is usually paid all at once, and is a one-time payment normally. The bonus is paid once ...
Oil and Gas Leases1/11/2012
  Q: A lessee put three sections of property on one oil & gas contract. This involved two counties in ...
  A: I assume you're talking about a lease? It's legal to put more than one section on a lease, though ...
Offer12/31/2011
  Q: First, I'd like to thank you and the others for the wealth of information you're passing along so ...
  A: I doubt the first offer is the best they'll do. Chesapeake has been leasing in there pretty heavily ...
Oklahoma Mineral Interest12/29/2011
  Q: My brother and I own property (120 acres) in Washita County Oklahoma, Section 27 of 10-18 and (7.5 ...
  A: Chesapeake was the major buyer of leases in your section back in 2008, but no one seems to be ...
subordination of lien12/15/2011
  Q: What happens to the royalty payment if the bank has a lien on the property and refuses to sign a ...
  A: The bank may do nothing to "hold" the royalty payment, but you wouldn't be able to sell the mineral ...
Mineral Value12/10/2011
  Q: "We own minerals in Washita County Oklahoma Sections 5-6, Township 9N, Range 20 and was wondering ...
  A: Most banks will not lend money on mineral rights. You'd get a much better value by selling some of ...
non-producing gas wells on our property12/6/2011
  Q: We live on a ranch in Cleburne, Texas, own 100% of our minerals rights. We have a lease with ...
  A: As long as the lease is capable of producing in paying quantities, it's unlikely you'll be able to ...
Gas & Oil lease rents & royalties12/5/2011
  Q: My father-in-law passed away in October 2011. I found he had signed G&O lease in 2008 for ...
  A: Not familiar with lease bonus amounts in Mercer County ND, but if someone wants to lease it once the ...
mineral rights11/22/2011
  Q: Last week I was contacted by a genealogist hired by a company to locate me, it seems I share in the ...
  A: Once the landman contacts you he will likely ask you to lease your mineral rights to him or his ...
Statement of Mineral claims who can file them11/21/2011
  Q: My father has mineral right by filing a statement of claim on his mother land as the son of the heir ...
  A: You'd have to run the chain of title to see if your father was actually entitled to this interest ...
Inherited Deeds in Montana11/20/2011
  Q: I'm hoping you can provide me with some advice and direction. My farther in Law has inherited 2 ...
  A: A "mineral deed" is a deed for subsurface (rather than surface) mineral rights in most cases. A ...
Oil and gas lease renewal11/18/2011
  Q: I am the lessor on an oil and gas lease in Kansas. The primary term of the lease was 3 years with an ...
  A: If you accepted the payment, then they are likely right, they may owe you more, but the underpayment ...
Oil and gas lease proposal11/17/2011
  Q: We received a lease proposal from Conerstone Natural resources LLC for oil and gas mineral rights in ...
Contact Gas Co or Wait11/9/2011
  Q: My family owns 62 acres in Bradford County PA. There currently is no lease on the property. We are ...
  A: If you haven't been contacted, it's likely no one is interested in leasing your rights at this time. ...
royalty withholding11/5/2011
  Q: Chesapeak gas company is witholding our royalty payment because they changed the unit size twice. ...
  A: If they changed the unit size to a smaller unit (which they can do with state approval) then it's ...
Offer For Working Interest10/30/2011
  Q: I am the Successor Trustee of a Family Trust that owns a 1/16 of 7/8 working interest in all leases ...
  A: A working interest is usually valued on a multiple of the monthly net income received, and is ...
Mineral Rights10/27/2011
  Q: The other day a man contacted my family and myself about some mineral rights which we knew nothing ...
  A: Sounds like the guy was offering to lease, rather than buy your mineral rights, at least initially. ...
Oil and Gas Leases10/23/2011
  Q: I was just notified by Gateway Land Serivices on behalf of Chesapeake Exploration L.L.C that they ...
  A: There is always a risk, but trust me, neither Chesapeake, nor any other company aims to poison your ...
Title Verification in Oklahoma10/13/2011
  Q: You and I have talked before and I listed my minerals on your site for a while. I hope you can help ...
  A: Lessee's sometimes only do only a "cursory" title search prior to leasing, and then a more ...
oil & gas royalties10/9/2011
  Q: I OWN SOME MINERAL RIGHTS FOR SECT. 23 TOWNSHIP 16 NORTH, RANGE 22 WEST ROGER MILLS COUNTY, OK.. I ...
  A: That section was force-pooled for $2000 and 3/16 royalty in June. If you were pooled, you will be ...
Dawson County, MT Mineral Lease Offer10/6/2011
  Q: MT. An Oil & Gas Company has sent them a lease offer. The Oil & Gas Company is looking at Township ...
  A: The only evidence of leasing I have access to is the government leases, and they have been getting ...
Washita Co., OK, Section 10-10N-16W9/29/2011
  Q: Scott: My elderly parents own the mineral rights to 80 acres in Washita County, Oklahoma, Section ...
  A: 1. I wouldn't say you "blew it" by not accepting the offer, and they may have only been "fishing" ...
Valuation of Mineral Rights for Tax Purposes9/20/2011
  Q: Mineral rights were placed in Trust in 1971. Trust was set to expire in 1981, but nothing was done ...
  A: If they are (or were) non-producing and not leased you'll need to get someone to appraise them who ...
oil,gas,gas and mineral lease9/19/2011
  Q: My siblings and I have received a request to grant a lease on property from my dad's estate.We know ...
  A: Not exactly sure where this is so can't comment on the lease bonus being fair or not but it doesn't ...
Roger Mills County, OK Sec 14-15N-24W9/15/2011
  Q: I am receiving numerous leasing solicitations on this property. I know absolutely nothing about oil ...
  A: To find out how much acreage you own the simplest thing to do would be to ask the potential lessee, ...
Gas and oil leases in Logan County, AR9/13/2011
  Q: My brothers and sister and I have inherited 3 pieces of property in Logan County, AR -two are ...
  A: There is not much at all going on in your area currently other than some leasing last year by Sonar ...
Dewey County, OK Lease Offer8/30/2011
  Q: I have small acreage, 3 net acres, Dewey County, OK, SE1/4 of Section 3, Township 16 N, Range 17 ...
  A: Lots of recent leasing in this immediate area so no wonder you received an offer to top lease. If ...
Unitization/Horizonatal Drilling8/9/2011
  Q: Mr.Scott, Thank you for posting such educational answers. I have learned a great deal by reading ...
  A: The Unitization Agreement would have been filed with the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, and likely ...
Proposed oil lease7/29/2011
  Q: Mr. Scott, I have a proposed lease in my possession for a 5 year lease on property in Lincoln ...
  A: I'm unfortunately not that familiar with the private lease bonus amounts in your area, though I can ...
Mineral acres & hiring someone to research right7/25/2011
  Q: In doing research for an elderly aunt who has dementia and who owns mineral rights in townships in ...
  A: While it may be true that your aunt only owns 10 (or 20) net mineral acres within a 160-tract (the ...
Mineral Rights in Bryan County, OK7/22/2011
  Q: Scott, I’ve been looking at your website and also reading some of your responses to folks who have ...
  A: Township 6S-7E (a six square mile area) is in the middle of all the current leasing activity in ...
Oil and Gas lease7/11/2011
  Q: I have been approached by Yale Oil pay $350 per acre for a 3yr lease on Southwest ¼ of Section 9, ...
  A: Sorry it took a few days to get back to you. I've been out of town. I did check on your situation ...
family held mineral rights Dewey county,Ok.7/10/2011
  Q: Mr. Scott, My great grandfather bought land in Oklahoma at the time it was publicly offered.My ...
  A: My first "advice" would be to do what you're already attempting to do; learn about what you've ...
Alfalfa County/Horizontal Drilling7/8/2011
  Q: I have appreciated reading your posts, and have learned a great deal. My family owns several ...
  A: It is actually fairly common these days for companies (in certain areas) to go back in and drill ...
Gas Royalty MCF vs. Cubic Feet6/23/2011
  Q: ... So here is the question...I have a NPR in 3 wells, the 3 wells combined are producing about ...
  A: Multiply the decimal interest by the gross revenue (or value) shown on your check stubs each month ...
Oil & Gas Lease-Carter County6/13/2011
  Q: I own the mineral rights to 13.33 net acres in SW/4 of Section 4, Township 5 South, Range 3 East in ...
  A: $550/acre sounds fair for this area. It might be a good idea to get an oil and gas attorney to look ...
Mineral (oil/gas) Lease OK6/10/2011
  Q: I have been contacted by a land resources company regarding a 3yr lease of oil/gas/mineral rights I ...
  A: It appears Sandridge Exploration might be considering a well in the section directly south of yours. ...
Mineral rights lease6/5/2011
  Q: I received an offer to lease my mineral rights for $300.00 per acre for 3 years and a 3/16th royalty ...
  A: I think you should ask for at least $350/acre. Chesapeake (the company that Superior is likely ...
Oil & Gas Leases6/3/2011
  Q: I recently inherited a farm with mineral rights in Washita county TN8, R16W. I remember my dad ...
  A: One way to find information on your dad's lease would be to take a trip to the Washita County ...
We've leased; what's next?6/2/2011
  Q: We have three properties in OK and two in Texas that we signed new 3 year leases for in the last six ...
  A: The lessee will not usually contact you as to the status of your lease, though it's not improper to ...
Oil and Gas Lease4/29/2011
  Q: Just read a previous post from "Rick" (posted on 1/8/2010) which details a similar situation that my ...
  A: If the probate/will had a "residual clause" that covered property not specifically mentioned in the ...
Calculate Fractional Interest Given Net Acreage? 4/28/2011
  Q: I was awarded 56.695% interest in a 1/16 of the N/2 of a 640ac tract. I know this amounts 11.339 net ...
  A: 11.339/320 = .03543, which in percentage format is 3.543%. 3.543% is the percentage of the N/2 that ...
oil lease in North Dakota and producing well4/27/2011
  Q: I inherited mineral rights in two sections of Williams county in North Dakota (3 acres). They are: ...
  A: Did your predecessor in interest sign a lease with a "depth clause" for the Olson 15-36H? If so, ...
oil &gas lease4/7/2011
  Q: We received an oil & gas lease offering $100 per acre in Jefferson County, OK, SE/4 NE/4 and NE/4 ...
  A: Not much going on in this area, though it is on top of an old oil field. I assume they are trying to ...
Oil & gas lease3/21/2011
  Q: I own mineral right in the following areas in Bryan county Oklahoma. 38 net acres in Section 2, T7S, ...
  A: There's a lot of new leasing activity going on in Bryan County this year. RD Williams, a land ...
Dewey County, Oklahoma Offer to Buy3/18/2011
  Q: My Mother recently received an offer to purchase her mineral rights in Dewey County, Oklahoma ...
  A: A sale to FerrellOil would not affect your mom's lease, though of course once she sold she would not ...
Montana Royalty Deed Vs. Mineral Deed3/17/2011
  Q: and thank you in advance for donating your time and expertise to this site. My mineral rights are ...
  A: I always tell people to look at the language IN the deed to determine what "type" of deed it is, ...
Post production expenses3/17/2011
  Q: I inherited a percentage of the mineral rights on some property. I signed a lease and a few years ...
  A: Probably not deductible, because you are only taxed on your net income, however I'd double check ...
Mineral rights3/15/2011
  Q: My Father passed away 12 years ago and recently someone contacted a member of my family asking about ...
  A: Are you sure they were seeking to purchase the mineral rights? Perhaps they were just wanting to ...
Oil & Gas Lease, Converse County Wyoming2/23/2011
  Q: Mr. Scott, I have recently been approached by a Cheyenne, Wyoming, energy land services company to ...
  A: I'm not as familiar with what the going rates are in Wyoming as I am in other states, but I can at ...
Preservation of Beauty, View, and Privacy2/21/2011
  Q: I've recently been contacted by a company that secures leases for Calyx. I own part of the minerals ...
  A: It's true that you can't "prevent" them from drilling, and if you do not lease to them they will ...
Wells in 22-11N-17W Evaluation2/11/2011
  Q: i have royalty on wells in 1-22h and 2-22h wondering if you could tell me the future on these wells ...
  A: You've got two pretty good wells there right now it looks like, though I only have production ...
What do Lease Terms Mean? 2/7/2011
  Q: I received a letter from a company in Oklahoma City representing Chesapeake Exploration with an ...
  A: "19-1N-3W" is short for Section 19, Township 1 North, Range 13 West of the Indian Meridian. The ...
Value of Mineral Rights in Oklahoma2/6/2011
  Q: Recently sold mineral rights that were inherited in March 2006. Am trying to find cost basis ...
  A: 23-11N-23W is of course where Apache's magnificent Thetford 4-23H was recently completed, and I ...
curing title as heirs to ND mineral rights2/4/2011
  Q: Sir, My extended family of 7 inherited 5 acres of mineral rights located in McKenzie Co. ND. ...
  A: It's likely the company has deposited the royalty payments that may be due your family into a ...
Oil, Gas, Mineral Rights2/3/2011
  Q: We have just been contacted by someone who wants to buy the oil and mineral rights of a small parcel ...
  A: Check around before agreeing to sell at that price would be my first thought. Since you didn't ...
leasing terms and prices in marshall county, oklahoma1/12/2011
  Q: Myself and other family members appear to be inheriting some oil and gas minerals from some deceased ...
  A: I checked the recent leasing activity in Marshall County, Oklahoma with a couple of sources. ...
work in gas fields of PA1/11/2011
  Q: Frederick: I have a forestry consulting business in PA which is floundering after 15 years. I have ...
  A: Steve, I doubt anyone on the drill site would be able to hire you for site reclamation, but if you ...
Fair Value1/9/2011
  Q: I'm hoping that you can help me with the current market value for oil and gas leases as well as the ...
  A: In 9N-16W I'd ask for between $1500/acre and $2500/acre, 3/16, and three years for a lease. To sell? ...
sell mineral rightsat fair value1/5/2011
  Q: I own 6.45 mineral acres in the JA Chireno A17 area in Nacogdoches Texas which I am interested in ...
  A: With "only" 6.45 acres to sell, I'd suggest you sell at least five of them. Most buyers will want at ...
Deed Question1/3/2011
  Q: Frederick, I don't know if I asked you this before, but when we bought our property back in 1993 in ...
  A: I can direct you to my website for some information on PENNSYLVANIA reservations of this nature, ...
Royalty Owner Information12/17/2010
  Q: Is there a way to verify the royalty interest of an individual in Converse County Wyoming?
  A: The deed granting the individual the royalty interest should be filed of record in the county ...
Claiming Abandoned Mineral Rights in North Dakota12/16/2010
  Q: My siblings and I inherited mineral rights in ND 20 years ago. Now the land owners want it claimed ...
  A: An attorney can help you with drafting and recording the statement of claim in North Dakota, and ...
Who has the drilling rights under my land? 12/15/2010
  Q: I recentl purchased a house on Plantation E.,Burleson, Jounson County, Texas. I purchased the ...
  A: If the mineral rights are not currently leased then YOU are the owner of the drilling rights, and as ...
Oil and Gas lease terms12/14/2010
  Q: We recently received Oil and Gas Lease documents for our family ranch in Montana with terms: -5 year ...
  A: The five-year portion is called the "primary term." When the primary term expires, your lease will ...
Oil and Gas Lease in Payne County12/5/2010
  Q: I was just contacted by Calyx to lease some land that my sisters and I inherited from our ...
  A: 1. Whether it's fair or not (and I don't know for sure) they are the only company leasing in this ...
Offer to purchase in Beckham County12/3/2010
  Q: Recently recieved an offer to purchase minerals in Beckham County, Oklahoma. The offer was $4,000 ...
  A: I live in Beckham County, and am pretty familiar with the goings on in this part of western ...
Activity in Stark County, ND12/1/2010
  Q: Back on 6-24-2010, you answered a question in which you included a leasing activity map for Stark ...
  A: Easily done. This map shows leasing activity from July 6 until November 2 of 2010. This is the most ...
Payne County, OK11/30/2010
  Q: My father recently passed and we (siblings) have obtained his mineral rights on some property in ...
  A: Calyx Energy is drilling to the Mississippian formation in recent spacing and location exception ...
oil and gas lease history11/21/2010
  Q: My husband's family recently received letters and phone calls Re: a company to eventually negotiate ...
  A: It's probably just an affidavit of heirship they are asking them to sign. No big deal. They are just ...
Oil and Gas Royalty11/20/2010
  Q: I have found a deed of royalty that my husbands mother had in her papers. It is in her name and 2 of ...
  A: There isn't much going on in Garfield County, MT as far as I can tell. I doubt mineral rights there ...
Production checks11/12/2010
  Q: How long does the oil companies have after being notified that they are sending you production ...
  A: I once waited about nine months to get a division order on a new well, and it was a month after that ...
Marcellus Gas Rights Lease/Sale11/4/2010
  Q: Hey there. I own 60 acres in Southwestern PA near the border with WV. Folks in my area were ...
  A: Well first off, congratulation for not leasing for $5 a few years ago. Lease prices are quite a bit ...
oil & gas royalties11/3/2010
  Q: My grandmother passed nearly 10 yrs ago and her royalties from a oil well is being suspended because ...
  A: In order to get her money out of suspense, you'll ultimately need to do whatever the company (or ...
oil/gas lease in Washita co. OK11/2/2010
  Q: Is $1000/acre, 3 years, 3/16 royalty a fair deal for mineral lease at location: Section 16-10N-19W, ...
  A: Chesapeake seems to be the only one leasing in your section, though there are several other ...
Pennsylvania Unleased Mineral Owner11/1/2010
  Q: I am a landowner of 178 acres in Braford County Pa. The former property had a clause in the deal ...
  A: If the well is drilled under Pennsylvania's conservation laws, and you do not sign a lease for your ...
Selling Mineral Rights10/21/2010
  Q: I have 7.12 acres that the lease just expired on. They are in McKenzie county in North Dakota in ...
  A: 1. You can sell just your portion or fractional share of what the family owns. 2. I'd always get ...
how far10/20/2010
  Q: I've heard that the oil activity will never get as far east along highway 2 as Berthold...is that ...
  A: Unlikely they will renegotiate with you on the extension, and they don't need your signature or ...
How to Contact a Lessee to Lease Minerals10/4/2010
  Q: My close friend owns oil and mineral rights in Springfield, Co, wants to lease them but lacks the ...
  A: You can check the county courthouse records for leases that have been filed by oil companies in the ...
Landowner Rights When Oil Company Wants to Drill9/30/2010
  Q: Sir, I'm an active duty Marine with three tours to Iraq and about to do a fourth to afghanistan. ...
  A: Oil companies usually try to reach agreements with the surface owner, even if the surface owner ...
Researching ownership without knowledge of location9/29/2010
  Q: My aunt owns mineral rights in some states but suffers from dementia and cannot remember where. (We ...
  A: If you know the county or counties where she likely owns minerals you can probably check the ...
mineral rights sale in Dewey County OK9/25/2010
  Q: I have been contacted by Ferrell Oil with an offer to by my 40 mineral acres which is under 3/16 ...
  A: Ferrell has been doing a lot of buying up in Dewey County this year it seems. 16N-14W is one of the ...
Mountrail County, ND9/24/2010
  Q: My mother received an offer from Copperhead Corp to lease her mineral rights to 6.5 acres in Section ...
  A: I just recommended sending the draft AND the lease through your bank in order to prevent the lessee ...
Mineral Rights9/23/2010
  Q: My mother inherited "mineral rights" in Montrail County North Dakota. What are mineral rights? and ...
  A: Mineral rights, in your mother's case, are the rights to the oil and gas and other "subsurface" ...
oil &gas lease/ mineral rights9/19/2010
  Q: I purchased land on a foreclosure thought the bank, the previous owner lease the oil and gas rights. ...
  A: If you bought the land AND the minerals from the bank, then you would be the beneficiary of the oil ...
Dewey County mineral rights9/18/2010
  Q: I received a letter from Ferrell Oil Co., L.L.C. offering to buy mineral rights in Section 23, ...
  A: You could of course ask Ferrell, as they apparently think you own some. Alternatively you could ...
Anadarko Woodford Lease Prices9/3/2010
  Q: My sisters and I own almost 60 acres of mineral rights in Dewey County, Oklahoma, in Sections 19 & ...
  A: Production info will usually be available around six months after a well is completed. An operator ...
Lease offer8/31/2010
  Q: We own 75 acres of mineral, mol in Sec. 5-T6N-R24E Laflore Co., OK. We recently received a 3-year ...
  A: No leases have been filed yet for this area so this tells me that any leasing activity there is ...
shut in wells in custer co., ok & activity in washita co., ok8/30/2010
  Q: (1) I have mineral interest in 19-12n-16w in Custer County, Ok. There were 2 producing wells on the ...
  A: The Meacham 2-19 operated by NBI Services, Ind. resumed production in January of this year, as did ...
How to know what fair market value is for oil lease8/25/2010
  Q: What is the best way to find out what the true value of leasing land for oil rights is in North ...
  A: Valuing mineral rights for leasing is similar in many ways to valuing them for selling. The market ...
Fair offer for Mountrail ND Gas/Oil lease?8/21/2010
  Q: I have received an oil and gas lease for mineral rights in Mountrail County, North Dakota. I've ...
  A: I'm not familiar with that area so would do the same research you've already done in order to find ...
North Dakota Leasing Question8/17/2010
  Q: I own mineral rights with family members on the same piece of property in North Dakota (I own the ...
  A: You can sign with whomever you please. You do not have to sign with the same company as the family ...
Can I cancel a signed top-lease8/15/2010
  Q: I recently signed an oil and gas lease that will become effective 9/19/2010 after the current lease ...
  A: To answer your question as to whether you can cancel, in this case the answer is probably "no." Once ...
oil and gas lease Duchesne Co. UT8/13/2010
  Q: I own 75 acres out at the SE/4 NW/4 Section 34, 3S-4W, Duchesne Co. UT. Known as Rocky Point ...
  A: I really don't know much about Utah activity, but didn't want to reject your question entirely so ...
Leasing Activity Washita County Oklahoma Sec 11-T8N-417W8/12/2010
  Q: A lease on this property expires this month of which I have 30 acres mineral rights. Is there any ...
  A: I assume you meant 8N-17W, not 417W. There is very little leasing activity currently in that whole ...
Oil & Gas Mineral Rights7/28/2010
  Q: We have recently been approached by Ferrell Oil Co LLC to sell mineral rights on 160 acres (all of ...
  A: Harold, I pulled your question off the "pool" of questions rejected by other experts for one ...
Mineral Rights7/24/2010
  Q: My mother, now deceased, was one of 8 heirs to some mineral rights over 160 acres in Converse ...
  A: The fact that they're apparently wanting to re-lease some of the heirs before their current lease ...
Oil and Gas Paid-up Lease7/15/2010
  Q: I am mineral right's owner of E/2 of Sec. 15, T20N, R04E (22.4 acres) in Payne County, OK. About 3 ...
  A: With 22 acres, and in an area without too much current drilling activity, I'd say it's not worth an ...
Mineral deed Mckenzie Cty North Dakota7/14/2010
  Q: My family has two mineral deeds in township 152 range 96w section 5. I've been told that they are ...
  A: How old are the mineral deeds? If mineral rights are not "utilized" for a period of 20 years by the ...
lease offer, Bottineau CO. ND7/13/2010
  Q: Scott - Had an offer to lease 41 net min acres in Bottineau Co. Twp 162 N, R 75 W. Term 5 yrs, ...
  A: It is a pretty unexplored area. I agree that a 3+2 lease and 3/16 or so royalty might be a good ...
ND Mineral rights lease offer Royalities7/11/2010
  Q: So I received a lease agreement from a resource company. My family owns the mineral rights to 160 ...
  A: Sherri, you can't expect to get what the government got for its minerals, though I do think those ...
PA Lease Problems6/25/2010
  Q: I own about 16.5 acres in S.W. Pennsylvania which has become a Marcellus Shale hot bed. In very ...
  A: Unless your lease with the first company specifically required the company to drill during the ...
North Dakota OGL Offer6/24/2010
  Q: I was recently solicited for oil and gas leases in Stark County 40 acres Township 137 North Range 96 ...
  A: I'm not that familiar with lease bonus rates in this area, but I can guess they wouldn't be very ...
Oil and gas lease6/8/2010
  Q: My wife was offered a $200/acre bonus, 3/16 royalty, 3 year lease to lease her mineral rights in ...
  A: $250 is probably about the going rate in the township for private leases, if not a little better. ...
Permits and spud dates6/2/2010
  Q: Scott I have a quick question, do you know where I would be able to obtain the average time between ...
  A: In North Dakota, drilling permits expire after one year unless renewed by the applicant. Expiration ...
Sam W Australia6/1/2010
  Q: I was reading an article from 4/09 it caught my interest because I also have rights to The same ...
  A: We are not provided with the questioner's email addresses so I can not provide you with Sam's ...
Missaukee County, Michigan Leasing5/29/2010
  Q: Mick, Thanks for taking my question. We own 160 "severed" mineral rights acres in Missaukee county, ...
  A: As you probably know, most of the current activity in your part of Michigan is to the north in ...
Ellis County Lease Offer5/10/2010
  Q: According to the paperwork, N/2NE/4, Section 18, Township 19 North, Range 22 West, 80 acres. Ellis ...
  A: It probably is an undivided interest, which means simply that you and your three sisters share ...
An ORI in Uintah County, UT4/28/2010
  Q: I inherited some items passed down from my Great Grandfather, one of which is an ORI on a US Oil and ...
  A: There is no current production for the legal descriptions you provided. "T" is short for "Township" ...
Sell or Lease?4/25/2010
  Q: I'm writing to inquiry about property located at Section 20, T09North, R18West Washita County, ...
  A: Jodie, there has been a "tad" of recent leasing activity in one of the surrounding sections (Section ...
Bryan County, OK4/21/2010
  Q: Frederick, We are dealing with R.D. Williams in reagards to some leases in Bryan County which is in ...
  A: Section 26 was force-pooled for $400 per acre in August of 2008. A pretty nice oil well (5000 ...
Question about whether natural gas is legally considered a mineral in the state of Pennsylvania4/18/2010
  Q: I've just discovered that my grandparents retained the rights to "oil, coal and other minerals" when ...
  A: Based on the phrase "oil, coal and other minerals" it would also be my opinion that your ...
Inherited Minerals Confirmation4/17/2010
  Q: I recently found a letter indicating my mother owned 3/16 interest in a oil and gas leas on some ...
  A: If your mother owns minerals in 14-17N-1E, the documents proving it would likely be filed in the ...
Lessee Communication4/15/2010
  Q: Scott My Husband leased minerals rights to an oil company last year and we have not heard back from ...
  A: Though it is frustrating, especially for out-of-state owners, it is not common for the lessee to ...
Lease offer for oil and gas4/12/2010
  Q: We received an offer from Contex Energy Company based out of Dickinson, ND. Here is a brief of the ...
  A: Your minerals seem to be in an area where there's not much current activity at all. No permits, no ...
Payne County, OK Lease Offer4/9/2010
  Q: Mr. Scott, you recently responded to my brother Bruce inquiry about a renewal lease offer he and I ...
  A: Bob, you can view any lease that has been filed by going to the county courthouse. You can make a ...
Gas Lease4/9/2010
  Q: Ten years ago, we signed on with East Resources for $2.00 an acre on 187 acre farm in Bradford ...
  A: I don't believe that Pennsylvania has a statutory Pugh Clause, so you're out of luck there probably, ...
Limited Time Rights Purchase4/5/2010
  Q: I have 69 acres in Beckham County (20-11N-22W) that are currently in the first year of a five year ...
  A: "Term" royalty or mineral deeds are actually not that uncommon. There's a lot of those offers going ...
Sample Mineral Deed4/3/2010
  Q: Mr. Scott, I want to buy oil/gas rights from my neighbor who wants to sell, and his rights are ...
  A: I am not an attorney and so cannot draft legal documents except on my own deals. However, there are ...
Oil and gas lease4/1/2010
  Q: I was told from a representative of an oil company that my owner decimal interest on my lease has ...
  A: You need to find out how many acres you own in the unit. The lessee should be able to tell you this. ...
offer to purchase mineral rights3/23/2010
  Q: I have been offered from a gas and oil company the purchase of all my mineral rights in Texas. ...
  A: The best way to "verify" what your mineral rights are worth in today's market is to get offers from ...
Oil/Mineral Lease3/22/2010
  Q: My brother and I were recently contacted by Pacer Energy LLC on behalf of Marathon Oil Co. informing ...
  A: You might try the NARO message boards for an attorney, or tips from other mineral owners in the ...
Heirship Question3/21/2010
  Q: When the Lessor is husband and wife jointly, and when both die, does the lease nd royalties ...
  A: Not automatically. It depends on whether they have a will or not. If there's no will directing how ...
Dewey Co. OK lease offer3/13/2010
  Q: I received an offer from Gateway Land Services of Ok.City to lease 12.9833 net mineral acres in ...
  A: There is probably more than one "Gateway" and I really don't think the Gateway that contacted you is ...
Lease non payment3/12/2010
  Q: My sister and I approximately 2 1/2 years ago signed a oil and gas lease on 100 acres in West ...
  A: I'd say you have a case. You may have to prove that you weren't paid to the current lessee, who ...
Top Lease Bonus3/10/2010
  Q: I received a proposal for a Top Lease on property I own that's currently under lease to another ...
  A: It is typical, and no, it would not be practical to insist on 100% of the bonus up front. Your ...
$5000/per acre Beckham County OK3/9/2010
  Q: Section 3-11N-R21W Beckham County, Oklahoma. I own approx 40 acres of mineral acres in the above ...
  A: Interesting. I've actually not seen an offer from an oil company offering to both lease the minerals ...
Fairness of Lease Offer3/7/2010
  Q: The 640 acres of land is in Williams County ND. Description is Township 158 North Range 103 West ...
  A: 1. You presume incorrectly in the first part of your question. A well can be drilled without all ...
Lease Extension Offer3/6/2010
  Q: In Dewey County, Oklahoma section 9,16,17,20,and 28 of 16N-14W I own mineral rights that are ...
  A: Not a bad deal in my opinion. The fact that they want a lease extension nearly a year before your ...
Top Lease Offer in Dewey County, OK: 2-17N-15W3/2/2010
  Q: I recently received a letter from Ferrell Oil Co. They are located in Oklahoma City Ok. They want to ...
  A: Your legal description is missing the "Township" (the number between the T and the N) but I can tell ...
Surface Use Issues2/26/2010
  Q: Each member of my family owns an undivided 1/5 interest of the oil rights located in section 29 (80 ...
  A: Hyrum, as you may or may not know, the mineral estate is still considered the "dominant" estate, ...
Washita County, OK Offer2/25/2010
  Q: I own mineral rights in Washita county OK. We inherited them from relatives several years ago. They ...
  A: Jon, I think a minimum of $600/acre and 3/16 royalty would be in order for this area, though it ...
Whether to participate in drilling or sell2/24/2010
  Q: An OK company requests I select: 1) participate with my interest in drilling of a test well and ...
  A: Tia, companies commonly include AFE's in their lease offers. They are not necessarily trying to ...
Divide County, ND Lease2/22/2010
  Q: I own 25 mineral acres in Divide County, North Dakota. Recently I was contacted by a land manager to ...
  A: Lyle, the state and federal government have a LOT more minerals, and thus bargaining power than most ...
Value of mineral rights at timeof inheritance2/20/2010
  Q: I am working on my 2009 taxes. My husband sold his mineral rights in Blaine County, Oklahoma in ...
  A: Your best bet for an accurate valuation would be to contact a mineral appraiser I would think, since ...
Leases in Reeves and Montgomery Counties, TX2/19/2010
  Q: Sir we have two pieces of land that we have leased the mineral rights out and we have not heard ...
  A: It's not uncommon for lessors (the mineral owners) to not know when or if their lessee plans to ...
Tarrant County, TX1/18/2010
  Q: We own mineral rights for some acreage in Tarrant and Brewster Counties, both in TX. These mineral ...
  A: Lori, If you have the original deeds, the locations should be listed on the deeds, in the form of a ...
Carter County, OK1/13/2010
  Q: My grandmother passes away almost4 years ago. Thanksgiving 2009 I found out that RD Williams want to ...
  A: You could start by filing an affidavit of heirship in Texas and having copies filed in Oklahoma. It ...
Section 12 of producer 88 lease1/12/2010
  Q: I need some advice pertaining to Section 12 of the "Producer 88" oil and gas lease dealing with ...
  A: There really is no standard "Producer's 88" lease, so a paragraph 12 on one lease is not necessarily ...
Mineral Deeds and Future Foreclosures1/11/2010
  Q: Mr. Scott, I am buying up mineral and royalty deeds in Louisiana. If i buy a mineral/royalty deed ...
  A: In Louisiana, as you probably know, mineral rights are classified as a "servitude" which, if not ...
13-08N-19W Washita County, OK Lease Offer1/9/2010
  Q: Mick, First off, thanks for the valuable information/advice that you provide. It’s clear to me ...
  A: The fact that they want to extend it before it even expires may mean they plan to drill a well ...
Inherited mineral rights1/7/2010
  Q: I recently found out from an energy company that my wife inherited mineral rights in Mountrail ...
  A: Paul, they are telling you that they think your wife owns 8.99 mineral acres of a 320-acre tract ...
ND Participation Penalty1/6/2010
  Q: My wife and her family are heirs to 20 acres worth of mineral rights in Divide county North Dakota. ...
  A: I would not bother opposing the risk penalty at the hearing. 50% is not a very big penalty for one ...
Purchasing 50% Interest in Oil Well1/5/2010
  Q: I'm interested in purchasing 50% working interest in an oil well in Carter County, Oklahoma, and I ...
  A: Tim, the fact that this well is not currently producing worries me. How much are you paying for this ...
Royalty1/3/2010
  Q: If you have more then one line or leg (I am not sure what the correct term is) coming into/on your ...
  A: The mineral owner will be paid his or her proportionate share of the lease production no matter how ...
Williams County, ND Lease1/2/2010
  Q: Can you tell me anything about oil lease values for Williams County North Dakota: Township 158 ...
  A: Your minerals are definitely in a producing area of the county, though I'm not sure how hot it is ...
Forced Pooling12/11/2009
  Q: How can I find out if any of my leases are in the forced pooling data base. If yes how can I find ...
  A: Jay, check with your state's oil and gas regulatory body. In Oklahoma, it would be the Oklahoma ...
Tarrant County, TX Lease Offer12/10/2009
  Q: My brother and I have been sent contracts and checks by a landman in TX regarding a lease by an OKLA ...
  A: Kathleen, sorry to be a few days in answering. Holidays and all. To answer your questions: 1. The ...
Jefferson County, OK Lease Offer12/8/2009
  Q: My brother and I own the mineral rights to 160 net mineral acres in Jefferson County, OK. SW/4 ...
  A: Lawana, $125/acre and 3/16 is about right for the area. There are currently no rigs setting up or ...
When Does a Lease with no Production Expire?12/7/2009
  Q: I own some of the minerals in a quarter of land in Bottineau County, ND, under an October 2008 ...
  A: David, if it comes down to a fight, it would ultimately be up to a court to determine whether your ...
Williams County, ND Lease12/4/2009
  Q: what is the present going rate per acre? township 156 North Range 96 west.i have seen the blm sales ...
  A: Konner, bonus amounts in the most recent BLM lease auction ranged from $600/acre in Section 18 to ...
Lease offer for oil and gas in Mountrail ND12/3/2009
  Q: I have recently inherited some property in Mountrail ND, and have been contacted by a lawyer ...
  A: Chris, short answer is no, $95 per acre does not seem average for the area. It seems pretty darn low ...
O&G lease renewal11/30/2009
  Q: I am a landowner with a 5 year oil and gas lease on 3,000 net mineral acres in Emery County, Utah. ...
  A: David, I'm not familiar with production or leasing bonus amounts in Utah unfortunately, but I've ...
Beckham County, OK Mineral Offer11/27/2009
  Q: We were recently contacted by a land broker by phone concerning property left in our grandmothers ...
  A: Likely the reason you were contacted is because there is a good deal of activity in this area. Often ...
oil lease11/19/2009
  Q: I have mineral rights to 13 acres (1/6 of family's inheritance) in Mountrail County ND. S3 T157N ...
  A: Mike, while I'm not "super familiar" with lease bonus amounts in the area where your minerals are, I ...
Question on Oil, Gas and Coalbed Methane Lease11/18/2009
  Q: we have been presented with a lease to consider which will be for a non-surface, paid-up lease ...
  A: Andrea, likely they will not "rewrite" the lease in "layman's terms" for you. This is not to be ...
Leasing in SE Washita County, OK11/15/2009
  Q: I have 80 acres under lease [ SE Washita County] that expires in Feb 2010. Section 15 What should I ...
  A: Lawrence, you didn't give me a legal description, which I would have preferred, but my guess for SE ...
Fair Market Value of Mineral Interest11/14/2009
  Q: Scott: I am preparing my mother's Inventory, Appraisal and List of Claims for court. She has ...
  A: Robert, I would hire a mineral appraiser if you can find one. Most major oil producing states have ...
Lease Offer Mountrail County, ND11/13/2009
  Q: I just received an offer for an oil lease of mineral rights I did not know I owned (!) in Mountrail ...
  A: Judy, I think your husband, or relative, Mike just asked me this same question recently, so ifyou ...
Reserving Mineral Rights11/11/2009
  Q: In North Dakota Montrail County, If you sell a track of land do the oil and mineral rights ...
  A: In most (if not all) states you must specifically reserve the minerals on the deed if you wish to ...
Oil & Gas Lease in Washita County11/2/2009
  Q: My family and I have been approached by a company that wants to lease the mineral rights for N/2 ...
  A: Marti, I'm really not too familiar with leases in this area these days, though I can tell you that ...
Gaines County, TX Lease Offer9/17/2009
  Q: Frederick, I inheritated a mineral lease (60 acres in Gaines County Tx.) from my mother who passed ...
  A: Ed, with "no experience whatsoever", and owning potentially 60 mineral acres, I would really suggest ...
Washita County, OK Offer9/15/2009
  Q: I was contacted by phone from a broker with Red Sky Land on behalf of Chesapeake Oil. He made a ...
  A: Dennis, Frankly, in that part of Oklahoma these days, it doesn't sound like a horrible offer, but ...
Ratification of lease and authorization of pooling with separate tracts clause9/9/2009
  Q: We have received a Ratification of Oil, Gas and Mineral Lease and authorization of pooling with ...
  A: Mary Ann, I believe they are asking you to sign this because you own a non-participating royalty ...
Downside to waiting for exploration results?9/2/2009
  Q: Mr. Scott: My widowed mother has mineral rights to my father’s family farm, now owned by someone ...
  A: David, most of the recent permitting activity that I was ABLE to find(by far) is several miles south ...
Division Order9/1/2009
  Q: Mr. Scott, first I want to thank you in advance, and if you can help in anyway it would be ...
  A: Billy, as long as the division orders correctly reflect your interest in the wells they pertain to, ...
Reservation of Overriding Royalty in Lease From Life Tenant8/18/2009
  Q: Scott, Here's the scenario: R has a remainder interest in fee simple to a tract of land, subject ...
  A: Gee Wes, this kind of sounds like a test question! I think "A" would get 1/8 of the lessee's gross ...
Pugh Clause8/15/2009
  Q: Mr. Scott, My parents leased out there land some time ago and it has a small producing oil well on ...
  A: Mike, unless North Dakota has a statutory Pugh Clause (many states do) then I'm afraid you're out of ...
Info on gas drilling in Northern PA8/13/2009
  Q: We own a sizable piece of property at the top of a mountain in Northern PA and have been hounded by ...
  A: Kathy, in Oklahoma you can go before the Corporation Commission to protest a pooling, or a drilling ...
Mineral Deed and Probate8/2/2009
  Q: Scott: Here is the present dilemma: A local lawyer in Oklahoma drew up a Mineral Quit Claim Deed ...
  A: Rita, though probate is not required legally, most companies will insist on it if the description in ...
Tangiapahoa Parish Leasing7/21/2009
  Q: Mr. Scott My family has ~140 acres in North Tangiapahoa parish 70444. About 9 months there was lots ...
  A: Nathan, as far as I know, that part of Louisiana is pretty much "dead" right now. NW LA is where the ...
Selling Mineral Rights7/20/2009
  Q: Mr. Scott, My sister and I own some mineral rights in Section 35 and 36, Township 13 North, Range ...
  A: Steven, if Devon has leased these rights from you and your sister, then apparently title is in your ...
"Paid-Up" Oil and gas lease7/5/2009
  Q: I was contacted by a petroleum land service company about leasing mineral rights to land in OK owned ...
  A: Mike, you should have taken the draft to your bank and deposited it for collection from their bank. ...
Cleveland County, OK Lease Offer7/4/2009
  Q: I just received a phone call from a landman with MGH Management, LLC in Edmond, Oklahoma. Mr. W. ...
  A: Sharon, without the "legal description" (which I request all people send me when asking a question) ...
Mineral rights to land in Wyoming County PA6/30/2009
  Q: I have been contacted by the current land owner of property in Wycoming County PA that was ...
  A: Pat, if your relative properly reserved the mineral rights when he conveyed the surface, then the ...
ROW & Royalties6/29/2009
  Q: I purchased my grandparents' property in Bradford County, PA--48.88 acres. 22.57 acres are within a ...
  A: Deb, assuming your documents were sufficient to convince the company that your grandparent's ...
Valuation of Royalty Interests in WY & MT6/24/2009
  Q: I am looking for a resource(s) to provide estate valuations of oil and natural gas royalty interests ...
  A: Tom, best bet is to find a "certified mineral appraiser" though they are few and far between it ...
Oil and Gas Lease questions6/10/2009
  Q: I would so appreciate your expertise on a matter regarding an oil and gas lease on property located ...
  A: Linda, with such a small acreage you really don't have MUCH bargaining power, but as long as there's ...
Gas & Oil Attorney / Pittsburg Cty, OK6/9/2009
  Q: I have inherited gas/oil leases in Pittsburg County, OK, but live in San Antonio, TX. I am having a ...
  A: Judy, I am not an attorney, but I would say that if the decedent lived in Oklahoma at the time of ...
how many acres in an oil well foot print in michigan6/8/2009
  Q: I hope you can help me or send me in the right diretion to get the answer to my question. How many ...
  A: Judy, "spacing units" for oil wells can range from 10 acres to 160 acres or more. Shallow wells have ...
GAS LEASE IN LOGANSPORT, LA6/7/2009
  Q: I signed a gas(mineral) lease 3 yrs ago and it had an opeion for renewal by co for 2 more years.they ...
  A: Althea, sometimes a "bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" as the old saying goes...and ...
Purchase mother's gas royalties6/5/2009
  Q: My sister and I will be purchasing my mother's gas royalties and want to transfer ownership/title. ...
  A: Diane, if you're just purchasing a "royalty interest" rather than the minerals themselves, then no, ...
Leasing Mineral Rights6/3/2009
  Q: There are a couple of oil companies duking it out in my area. I have been approached by Carlysle ...
  A: Vicki, the phrase relating to "as long thereafter" is common to most leases and is no big deal. The ...
Tax liability on sale of mineral leases6/2/2009
  Q: My husband and I own mineral rights on 20 acres in Oklahoma. We live in Texas, though I don't think ...
  A: Jan, I would check with your tax adviser, but it's my opinion that the proceeds would definitely be ...
oil gas mineral lease5/29/2009
  Q: was approached today from an independent contractor title co,he said and he represents munoco ...
  A: Debra, without doing some in-depth research, I really can't speak for that area of Arkansas. ...
Determining Mineral Ownership From Old Deed5/4/2009
  Q: I happened to come across some things of my father's and am wondering how to check them out. He ...
  A: Leonie, though your father at one time appears to have owned some sort of interest in a well in ...
oil and gas lease renegotiation5/3/2009
  Q: I hope you can help, Ok my mother in law signed a lease with a company 2 yeas ago, one year and a ...
  A: Debra, your mother-in-laws heirs are probably out-of-luck as to being able to renegotiate the lease. ...
ratification of oil and gas lease5/1/2009
  Q: I want to purchase a small lot that the owner signed a ratification of oil and gas lease that is ...
  A: Elizabeth, if the owner of the lot also owns the minerals under the lot, and the deed granting you ...
How to get to the bottom of what we own.4/29/2009
  Q: I could probably write a 6 page letter with questions. I am looking through old family documents to ...
  A: Valerie, I agree that it is best to "know what you own." I also realize a lot of folks have no idea ...
No Cost s / Division Orders4/16/2009
  Q: I have just received Division orders for a gas well producing in my pool. I have already found an ...
  A: Rob, Texas statutes are somewhat ambiguous in that on the one hand they say that a division order ...
Seismic survey4/14/2009
  Q: Had seismic survey was done on my property a couple months ago,is there anyway to get the seismic ...
  A: William, the results of seismic surveys are proprietary information unless you have an agreement ...
Gas Properties Title Issue4/13/2009
  Q: I need help with a gas properties title issue. My half sibling and I were given gas royalty shares ...
  A: Mesha, in order to determine if the wells are still producing, or when they stopped producing, and ...
mineral rights in Montrail County, ND4/12/2009
  Q: I have inherited mineral rights from my father and aunt who in turn inherited them from their ...
  A: Christina, I would not sell your minerals to anyone without getting more than one offer; especially ...
North Dakota Lease Offer4/2/2009
  Q: I live in Australia and have found out recently my siblings and I together with other family members ...
  A: Sam, I have heard of the company, but know nothing about them good or bad. It is probably not a ...
Gas lease4/1/2009
  Q: We signed with a gas company before the prices went sky high and like many people feel we got ...
  A: Toni, while you may have gotten "ripped off" it would not be simply because you leased at the then ...
How to Price Minerals for Sale3/29/2009
  Q: I HAVE APPROXIMATELY 600 ACRES IN THE HAYNESVILLE SHALE IN BOSSIER CITY AND SHREVEPORT LA. I HAVE ...
  A: Warren, for the ones that are leased, a rule-of-thumb would be to ask for three times the lease ...
ownership of FLOWERS #1-15,beaver,co,ok3/28/2009
  Q: I inherited a small part in the FLOWERS natural gas production some years ago. In 2000 I received a ...
  A: Blanche, "more detailed" info would indeed have been helpful, especially the "legal description." ...
marcellus shale gas lease3/27/2009
  Q: Range Resource is refusing to pay an up-front amount on our gas lease. They will pay the amount over ...
  A: Harv, my suggestion would be to see an attorney on this matter. I'm assuming they had agreed to pay ...
Forced pooling3/26/2009
  Q: What is forced pooling? How does the gas company get away with forced pooling? Is it fair?
  A: Bill, “Forced Pooling” means that under state law (in states that allow forced-pooling) the oil ...
surface owner rights3/19/2009
  Q: my husband and i along with his sister and her husbamd owns a farm of 70 acres,(inherited by their ...
  A: Brenda, since you agree that you are not the mineral owners, it may help to know that the "mineral ...
Gas lease while purchasing property with land contract3/18/2009
  Q: My wife and I are currently purchasing property with a Land Contract, where the owner holds the deed ...
  A: Keith, if only the land is owned, then neither you nor the current landowner can sign the gas lease ...
Considerations when owning only a percentage of mineral rights3/14/2009
  Q: Due to multiple generations of inheritance, I own percentages in mineral rights (for example, 0.29% ...
  A: Will, if you own any minerals in a proposed drilling unit, then it's always helpful to have these ...
Landman Fee for Lease Negotiation3/10/2009
  Q: I'm in Lewisville Texas. Recently contacted by Cherokee Horn to sign lease. I contacted a friend ...
  A: Brandon, I'm not sure if you meant 5% or .5%. .5% would be hardly anything and so that would be a ...
La Laws and MInerals3/9/2009
  Q: About to go do some research in Louisiana concerning royalty interest for my family. I am of the ...
  A: Kempe; short answer is yes, a royalty interest will "prescribe" (be extinguished) in 10 years, and ...
North Dakota Lease Offer3/8/2009
  Q: I received a letter asking me to sign a lease for some land that I did not know I owned. Apparently ...
  A: Jim, likely it is not a "scam" but I'd attempt to find out the "going rate" for leases in the area ...
Locating Mineral Owners3/7/2009
  Q: I purchased some property about 5 years ago with a home on it. I have a total of 28 acres and on ...
  A: Terry, the most accurate way to find out who owns the minerals under your land would be to visit the ...
Fort Worth, TX Minerals3/6/2009
  Q: I own about 100 acres of mineral producing land in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and was wondering if ...
  A: Joseph, my first thought is to get offers from more than one buyer in order to establish the actual ...
Types of Mineral Interest3/5/2009
  Q: I have a client who has numerous oil rights in various counties/states and we are trying to transfer ...
  A: Maggie, when a lease expires, the rights to produce the minerals revert back to the mineral owner, ...
Obligation to Lease?3/4/2009
  Q: My friends owns 75% of the mineral rights to 160 acres. She had a five year lease expire a few ...
  A: Laura, it's possible that the company was aware of your friend's lease expiration, but chose not to ...
drilling3/3/2009
  Q: My parents have property in PA. They ahve been approached by companies to lease the mineral rights. ...
  A: Linda, it's fairly common up there for attorneys to get groups of people together to negotiate as ...
Intestate Succession1/30/2009
  Q: My grandmother owns mineral rights in Grady Co., Oklahoma. MyMy grandmother had two children, a son ...
  A: Renee, if your grandmother had no will, then her property would pass by the laws of "Intestate ...
General inquiry in regard to minerals1/29/2009
  Q: Good morning: Some weeks ago, I was contacted by a "Land Man", who wanted to broker a deal between ...
  A: Lora, Chesapeake commonly hires landmen to buy leases for them. If he said he or his company had ...
Drilling Horizontally?1/28/2009
  Q: I live in PA and I refuse to lease my property due to lease terms. There is a company that is ...
  A: Greg, if you don't lease but they want to drill anyway, and your minerals are included in the unit ...
Power of Attorney1/27/2009
  Q: My grandmother is dead and my grandmother's power of attorney is still recieving money from my ...
  A: Lura, once your grandmother passed away, the power of attorney expired and is no longer valid. This ...
Out of State probated will1/24/2009
  Q: Scott, Thank you for reviewing my question. My grandfather passed away leaving a probated will in ...
  A: Marton, though the will is valid in Pennsylvania, it must be probated in Oklahoma in order for it to ...
Rights to Free Gas1/23/2009
  Q: I own a parcel of property in Pennsylvania that was subdivided from a farm. My parcel is part of a ...
  A: Scott, if THEIR oil and gas lease states they can receive free gas, and they are the owners of the ...
Oil Lease1/22/2009
  Q: Fredrick, Well I wish I'd known about you sooner. We Signed a 5 yr lease on Our 160 acres of land ...
  A: Bob, as you will note if you read your lease document (which of course should always be read before ...
Renegotiating initial payment intervals1/20/2009
  Q: Our family entered into a contract with a leasing company July 4, 2008. We were to receive payment ...
  A: Susan, many companies are attempting to "renegotiate" bonus payments lately unfortunately. Some of ...
Decimal Interest1/19/2009
  Q: Please help! My husband and I are very confused and do not understand decimal interest. We own 30 ...
  A: Dora, no, the decimal interest will not change. Your decimal interest is based on your proportionate ...
Past Fair Market Value of ORRIs1/18/2009
  Q: I need to find at least 2 separate sources that can provide me with what the Fair Market Value ...
  A: Christena, your best bet would be to locate and hire either a certified petroleum engineer or a ...
avoiding big tax hit on sign on bonus with lease1/16/2009
  Q: Pertaining to a lease for natural gas in WV. Once the order of payment is signed and finalized, is ...
  A: Jade, if you haven't been paid yet, you could ask the lessee to withhold part or all of your payment ...
Forged Notary Invalidates Lease?1/13/2009
  Q: In October 2002 I signed a gas lease with EOG. I and my neighbors were told we would all be in the ...
  A: Victor, if you signed the lease, it is a valid lease whether you signed it in front of a notary or ...
assignment of overriding royalty interest1/11/2009
  Q: Found a document at the court house for assignment of overring royalty interest on my fathers land. ...
  A: Tom, first you'd need to determine whether there is any current production from the subject lands. ...
Lease Offer Rescinded by Lessee1/6/2009
  Q: What determines whether an Oil and Gas lease is a binding agreement? I have a signed lease and was ...
  A: Mark, if the draft and lease were received by the lessee or their bank prior to them telling you ...
Mineral Rights12/3/2008
  Q: My stepmom has asked me to help her find out if her late fathers deed to a property in Mountrail ...
  A: Judy, you'd need to check back further than the deed you have to be sure. It's possible some ...
Lessee breaking lease11/26/2008
  Q: The company that we have a lease with broke our lease 6-8 times by dumping frac water (we also had ...
  A: Holly, if you feel the lessee has violated your lease, the first thing you need to do is notify them ...
Marcellus Leasing11/25/2008
  Q: I have recently been approached by a land company leasing oil and gas rights for Chesapeake Energy. ...
  A: Mark, if you do not agree to lease, they will possibly "force-pool" your interest into the unit at ...
Mineral Deed Pittsburg Ct. Oklahoma11/22/2008
  Q: I inherited 12 mineral deeds in Ok. I recently received a call from a Land Consulting Co.from ...
  A: Alice, if your mother owned the property in question when she passed, you can likely prove you who ...
Oklahoma Drillsite Payment Offer11/20/2008
  Q: I have a small ten acre lot of land in Southern Oklahoma and I was recently contacted by an oil ...
  A: Bryan, "$1000 a month" is a bit unusual in that they usually just offer a flat rate, but it really ...
Texas Final Decree/Will Dispute11/18/2008
  Q: My mom owned a lot of mineral and undivided surface in west texas. She passed away several years ...
  A: John, "60 acres of surface in an undivided 180-acre section" would of course receive no royalty or ...
Bum Rushed on Natural Gas Lease11/15/2008
  Q: Recently my wife and I have been approached by the village where we live about allowing a drilling ...
  A: Thomas, the mineral estate is the "dominant" estate in this county, and so the mineral owner does ...
Will they Contact you?11/11/2008
  Q: I was wondering if the Oil companies contact us for leasing OR do we contact them If we Think we ...
  A: Cheryl, assuming your contact information is available in the courthouse public records (i.e. a ...
Gas Lease on A foreclosed property--11/10/2008
  Q: I purchased a foreclosed home and previous had already signed the gas lease. The property is in ...
  A: Amal, check the mortgage for the subordination clause. Mortgage should be filed of record in the ...
Mineral rights inheritance/deed11/2/2008
  Q: My grandmother has mineral rights through her mother [my great-grandmother] land is located in ...
  A: Michelle, if the will had a "residual clause" (most do) then that would include the minerals, even ...
Gaines County, TX Lease Offer10/9/2008
  Q: First I want to say thank you for participating in this forum. This is awesome for people like me ...
  A: Patrick, there seems to be an oil field just past the southeast corner of Gaines County. There have ...
Tangipahoa Parish, LA10/7/2008
  Q: We own 145 acres in Amite, LA 70422 in Tangipahoa Parish and want to know how to go about the ...
  A: Jan, as far as I know there is virtually nothing going on oil and gas-wise in your area of the ...
Kern County, CA Leasing10/4/2008
  Q: Are you familiar with mineral right values and California Law as it relates to oil leases? My family ...
  A: Mark, a "favored nations" clause is as you say, and unfortunately is also very hard to negotiate ...
Top Lease Definition and Options9/13/2008
  Q: We have mineral rights in Montana. Our lease expires next year (2010). The lessor has not done ...
  A: Gary, a "top lease" is simply a lease taken by another company before your current lease expires. ...
Grandfathered gas lease9/8/2008
  Q: We have a farm which has been in our family for over 100 years. The gas lease on it is dated pre ...
  A: Rose, unless there is current production on the leased premises, then the lease has expired unless ...
Forced Integration in Arkansas and Arkansas Website9/7/2008
  Q: I have had an oil & gas lease presented to me for mineral interests I have in Arkansas that I am not ...
  A: Jan, not true, you may be force-POOLED (I think Arkansas calls it forced "integration") but you will ...
Well drilled on adjacent land taking my gas9/5/2008
  Q: I have ownership in a parcel of land in north central Pa. in which the land next to mine was pooled ...
  A: Larry, your oil and gas could be produced from a well outside your property if the producing ...
Austin County, TX Lease Offers9/3/2008
  Q: Mr. Scott First, please let me say that I most appreciate your time in reading this. Time is of ...
  A: Theresa, those two companies are about the only two leasing in your area as far as I can tell. ...
Gas Lease in Erie County, PA9/2/2008
  Q: I bought a house in Corry Pa. (Erie County) a year and ten month's ago. The house sits on1.3 acre's ...
  A: Jon, likely the company is wanting to drill a deeper gas well, and they want to include your ...
Selling Minerals in New York9/1/2008
  Q: Fred Im an investor in the Southern Tier of New York and the gas business is becoming huge. I buy ...
  A: Chad, yes, NE Pennsylvania and even southern New York state are becoming "hot." If you've got some ...
Searching for Family Minerals...Where to Start?8/16/2008
  Q: Scott, My grandfather who died in 1949 owned oil & mineral rights all over Texas and Louisiana. My ...
  A: Vemelle, apart from looking through any old papers of your grandfather's you have lying around, I'd ...
Duchesne County, Utah Activity8/14/2008
  Q: I have recently been contacted to renew my Oil and Gas Lease which was previously leased at $25 per ...
  A: Mary Ann, Berry Petroleum Company has received "a ton" of drilling permits for some shallow wells in ...
Depth Clause in Haynesville Shale8/13/2008
  Q: Mr Scott, Thanks for taking my question. I own 170 acres in Harrison county Texas. m.l. woods ...
  A: Kerry, the company won't sue you if you lease to "big oil," don't worry. However, you should ...
old natural gas lease8/9/2008
  Q: My father has mineral rights to 160 acres in Beaver County Oklahoma. He doesn't even have a copy ...
  A: Kathryn..."ripped off"? That sounds a bit strong doesn't it? While it's true that leases from the ...
Oil & Gas/ Okfuskee Co. Oklahoma8/8/2008
  Q: I inherited 7.14 acres of minerals out of 120 located in 21-12N-10E in Okfuskee county. I was have ...
  A: Frank, section 21 was pooled by the Oklahoma Corporation Commission on July 29 for $125 per acre and ...
Is it possible to renegoiciate royalty interest in a forced pooling8/7/2008
  Q: Good Evening I'm am the heir,that inherited royalties through a will, after extensive research on ...
  A: Mrs. Burton, if the company made a "diligent effort" to locate you, but could not, then the pooling ...
Unitization and Pooling8/6/2008
  Q: Scott: We just recently signed a gas lease in Bradford County, PA with Chesapeake. I have a few ...
  A: Anita, sorry so late in responding....been a busy week! Pooling and unitization are often considered ...
mineral lease violations8/4/2008
  Q: My family have 180 acres in NW Louisiana which we sign a mineral lease on 2 1/2 years ago. A ...
  A: Alan, read your lease if you haven't already. It likely gives them permission to drill any necessary ...
Drill on Lease or Wait one year?8/3/2008
  Q: 4 years ago we signed a "standard 5 year mineral rights lease" 1/6 royality if any production was ...
  A: Tom, if the guy wanting to stake a well is not the current lease holder, then technically he is ...
marketing mineral leases to oil/gas co's8/2/2008
  Q: I was called by phone by rep of oil co wanting to lease my minerals. we verbally agreed to terms. ...
  A: John, Try to find out from all these companies which one might actually be capable of drilling a ...
Clinton Oklahoma7/30/2008
  Q: Is there any gas play, or any one interested in leasing minerals around Clinton, Oklahoma. Thanks ...
  A: Paul, pretty general question there, so my answer must be general as well. Most of the recent ...
contract and related oil.gas lease7/27/2008
  Q: This may be a dumb question,however, recently, upon perusing many papers of my deceased father, my ...
  A: Bill; not a dumb question, but it is unlikely not worth pursuing. You should however try to ...
"Top lease" exclusion in lease offer7/26/2008
  Q: Mr. Scott: I'm trying to assist a senior citizen who just received an unsolicited oil/gas lease ...
  A: William, I always delete the "top lease" clause, so in my opinion, it's a good thing that it's ...
oil/gas rights and lease7/25/2008
  Q: How do I go about finding out the status of an old lease on oil/gas rights in Williams County, ND. ...
  A: Mary Ellen, you'll need to of course establish whether there is currently, or ever was, any ...
Texas Oil and Gas Lease Royalty Minimum7/22/2008
  Q: Is there a minimum mandated royalty payment in Texas for oil and gas; such as in Pennsylvania where ...
  A: In most states I believe the minimum is 1/8. I actually do not have personal knowledge of such a law ...
Oil and Gas Lease7/18/2008
  Q: My Friend found some old oil and gas lease papers that her grandmother had and her Aunt left her. ...
  A: Mike, if there is still a well producing there, then I'd look into it. If not, I'd still look into ...
gas, oil and mineral rights7/16/2008
  Q: My family and I own approx. 500 acres of gas,oil and mineral rights in Steuben County N.Y. as well ...
  A: Steve, best thing to do is check with your neighbors if possible, and see what they've been offered. ...
Mineral rights from the 1920s7/15/2008
  Q: My grandmother recently past away and as we were cleaning out her house I came across a bundle of ...
  A: Erica, assuming the State, or some previous owner didn't retain the minerals to the subject lands ...
mineral rights and leasing6/17/2008
  Q: Question 1 I bought one hundred acres in NEPA back in 1986, I found out that back in 1956 (four ...
  A: Carl, the 1956 owner and his heirs still own 50 percent of the minerals under the land you ...
Louisiana Gas Mineral Lease6/16/2008
  Q: My Husbands family bought a 100 leased gas mineral rights on some property in Louisiana. Up until ...
  A: Sally, probably what's happened is that the well is either no longer capable of production, or it ...
Royalty retained for one lease or forever?6/13/2008
  Q: Greetings. This is a question about retention of gas and oil royalties in a deed that is about 90 ...
  A: Mark, I would say that since the deed specifically mentions the fraction "1/16" and since most ...
Inherited Natural Gas Well Royalties6/12/2008
  Q: My wife is the sole inheritor of the royalty rights to several producing natural gas wells in Hemple ...
  A: Bruce, the lease your wife's grandfather signed state the royalty rate and other terms that were ...
Gas Lease6/10/2008
  Q: I was just approached this afternoon by Magnum Land Services regarding a natural gas lease. I have ...
  A: DeAnna, I am not familiar with leasing rates in Maryland so I would instead check around with ...
Oil and Gas Lease6/9/2008
  Q: I own 2 small parcels (1 acre, and 4-1/2 acres) in LaGrange County, Indiana. My mother has a life ...
  A: Laura (and others) first off be aware that neither we as experts, nor anyone reading your questions ...
Oil leases6/7/2008
  Q: My family owns the mineral rights on 1425 acres in Williams and McKenzie counties in North Dakota ...
  A: Mark, I am not very familiar with that part of North Dakota, though as you likely already know, the ...
Mineral Rights sale Bryan county6/5/2008
  Q: Mr. Scott, I hold 4.5 acres Section 35-05S-12E and have been offered 1150. per net acre to sell. Is ...
  A: J; I'd say it's a little low, considering that bonus amounts have been higher in the area. ...
oil and gas leases in Wetzel County6/4/2008
  Q: I am a staff writer at the Wetzel Chronicle, a weekly in New Martinsville and have been writing a ...
  A: Brenda, northern West Virginia is where a lot of West Virginia's producing areas are located, though ...
Prior Patent on Property6/3/2008
  Q: My Wife and I signed a lease agreement in April, with a Draft for the signing bonus. I just found ...
  A: Jim, sounds like they found a "cloud" in your title. May also be that they just changed their mind ...
Is consultant fee fair?5/30/2008
  Q: I recently attended a meeting of a group of landowners in NE PA being represented by a ...
  A: Chris, I'd be curious as to who this guy is. I was contacted by an attorney a few months ago from ...
paid up oil and gas lease5/28/2008
  Q: I own 48 acres in NE PA. Several mos ago a young man knocked on our door representing New Penn ...
  A: John, short answer is you'd need to check with an attorney familiar with contract law in ...
What is a 'frozen' well?5/27/2008
  Q: What does it mean when an oil company 'freezes' a well? I heard this in reference to a well that ...
  A: BJ, a "frozen" well could be a number of things. It's not a term I'm familiar with as it relates to ...
Mineral rights5/24/2008
  Q: My family has held land and mineral rights in East Texas near Crockett for 100 plus years. I ...
  A: Debbie, one thing you might try is the Texas Railroad Commission Website. It's a bit confusing, but ...
Natural Gas Royalties5/23/2008
  Q: My property is situated within a 640 acre unit. How can I determine how much money I will receive ...
  A: Michael, it's pretty easy to figure your potential royalty actually, and I'm glad you didn't make ...
Mineral Rights in Burke County, ND4/22/2008
  Q: My family owns the mineral rights to 357+ acres in Burke County, North Dakota, in Sections 19 and 24 ...
  A: Sandy, I'm not too familiar with North Dakota; but I have been there several times, because I used ...
Oil & Gas Lease - WV4/22/2008
  Q: We are getting solicited from a leasing company (Magnum Land Services, LLC) to sign a oil and gas ...
  A: Mark, if you don't sign, and they want to drill a well in a spacing unit that includes your ...
Gas leases in Northern Bradford County. PA4/21/2008
  Q: Recently a company called Range Resources hired a middle man to approach landowners in our area to ...
  A: Erin, wow, lots of questions. All Experts isn't set up to provide in-depth answers, so I'll have to ...
surface property sold, but not mineral rights4/17/2008
  Q: I was contacted by a third party company acting on behalf of a major oil company. He informed me ...
  A: Tallie; if you want to verify your mineral ownership, you could check the courthouse records in the ...
Gas Lease4/1/2008
  Q: Scott I am a student at WVU and recently my parents had told me that they had been approached by a ...
  A: Robert, too many questions for me to answer fully here, but I will try, and will also tell you that ...
oil lease3/31/2008
  Q: Mr. Scott -- My wife and I were contacted by Sundance about leasing a small acreage about 10 miles ...
  A: Charles, In Mountrail County I have reliable sources telling me of leases there going for $2,000 per ...
Bradford County, PA Gas Lease3/28/2008
  Q: Good Evening. I live in Bradford County PA (Litchfield Township)I was approached by Chesapeake a ...
  A: Shelly, I'd check with more neighbors, then check the papers, then check the courthouse to see who ...
Mineral Leasing3/25/2008
  Q: Why do oil and gas companies lead you to believe they are interested in leasing for drilling, pay ...
  A: Luis, oil and gas companies usually lease because they eventually plan to drill the lease. However, ...
mineral lease3/24/2008
  Q: Frederick, I live in Montana and along with my family, have 312 acres of mineral rights in Dunn ...
  A: Bob, "Marathon Man" is right most likely. If they get enough leases from others, they won't need to ...
Gas Exploration3/21/2008
  Q: Mr. Scott, I live in Wayne County, Pa. I would like to know how to contact some one in regard to ...
  A: Jay, Chesapeake Exploration is doing most of the leasing in your area. I'm surprised they haven't ...
gas lease in Cameron County, PA3/16/2008
  Q: We inherited the mineral rights to 200+ acres in Cameron County, PA. The property has had no ...
  A: John, don't sell for only $500 per acre. Leasing prices are $1500 per acre in some areas (i.e. Wayne ...
Gas Leasing in NEPA3/15/2008
  Q: I live in Northeast PA which is being heavily marketed for gas leasing rights above the Marcellus ...
  A: Carl, as you may know, lease bonus amounts in your area have risen from a low of $25-$50 per acre ...
How to search for ownership of royalties3/14/2008
  Q: We have recently been approached by someone in North Dakota who claims that my grandfather owns ...
  A: Karen, most courthouses are set up to do searches by legal description, rather than name. This is ...
career question3/13/2008
  Q: I read that your college degree was not related to gas and oil, this is good news for me because the ...
  A: Nick, I would suggest checking out AAPL (American Association of Professional Landmen) for a start. ...
recently approached3/12/2008
  Q: I live in norteast PA and was recently approached about leasing my land for shale drilling. I would ...
  A: Dave, if you really want more details on how a rig is operated and/or the whole process from start ...
Oil and Gas Lease Columbia Co NE PA3/11/2008
  Q: I haven't seen any posts regarding Columbia Co. in NE PA., but I have gleaned a lot of information ...
  A: Chris, many of the things you mentioned are actually fairly "standard" contract terms, it's just ...
NY gas lease3/10/2008
  Q: My family owns approximately 48 acres on Hwy 54 along Keuka Lake in Yates county New York town of ...
  A: Dan, with natural gas and oil prices up like they are, companies are going after more ...
pool inclusion3/1/2008
  Q: We have never signed a lease. We are currently in a pool on a shallow well west of us. Someone is ...
  A: Barbara, I would call the company doing the drilling and ask them if you are in the pool. They are ...
Oil & Gas Leasing2/26/2008
  Q: I own the mineral rights to a tract of land in Texas and was recently contacted by a leasing agent ...
  A: Charles, check with neighbors who may have been approached, check with local banks, call the county ...
Pool size vs royaly payments-Barnett Shale2/23/2008
  Q: I have seen some calculations as to projected royalty payments. Insofar as I am negotiating a lease ...
  A: Ned, in the Barnett Shale, unit sizes (pool) can vary from 40 acres to (more recently) as many as ...
Lease information nepa2/21/2008
  Q: I see you were maxed out yesterday so I tried another expert and they couldn't answer my questions. ...
  A: Dave, as you surmised, I have been attempting to work with an attorney to help you folks get a good ...
selling mineral rights/leasing2/20/2008
  Q: my question is this, I'm all for this company to come in and check and find gas or oil on my ...
  A: Sherry, if you own the mineral rights under the land, then the company will "ask permission" from ...
NEED HELP2/15/2008
  Q: WANT TO PAY YOU TO HELP ME WITH TAKING CARE OF MINERAL RIGHTS ISSUES.....THIS IS SMALL STUFF IN ...
  A: Hazel, I can't promise I'll have the necessary time available to help you professionally, but will ...
Oil/gas lease2/14/2008
  Q: About 2 years ago I was one of the first in my area of Bradford Co, Pa. to be approached about ...
  A: Bill, short answer is probably "no" you cannot force a lessee to renegotiate the terms of your lease ...
Top Lease offer - Bakken formation - Mountrail County.1/31/2008
  Q: which I thank you for your answer to, however, some factors have now changed. I have recently been ...
  A: Nancy, good thinking! I believe it may be possible for you to renegotiate your current lease if your ...
Texas O/G Lease & Landman1/30/2008
  Q: I can only find ltd info on Thunderbird Oil & Gas who has presented us w/a lease. All indications ...
  A: Elizabeth, I am assuming your minerals are in Johnson County, south of Fort Worth, though you did ...
Ratification of Oil and Gas Lease1/29/2008
  Q: My mom recently received a notice asking for her notarized signature on the Ratification of a Lease ...
  A: Justin, if you want to find out what your Mom owns in these parcels, the easiest thing to do would ...
Sell or retain1/28/2008
  Q: I am a local Realtor and I have a client that has inherited acreage from his mother. This parcel of ...
  A: Kendal, how big is the parcel? Where is the parcel? Is it near production? Sounds like it might now ...
Natural Gas-- Barnett Shale1/26/2008
  Q: Sir: I have two questions. (1) I own 60 acres of land 1 mile northwest of Itasca, Hill County ...
  A: David, without the legal description (block, section or abstract.) it's difficult to narrow down ...
Rule of Thumb For Valuing Unproduced O & G Rights1/25/2008
  Q: Can you suggest a workable rule of thumb for establishing the fair bonus value for a lease based on ...
  A: James, bonus amounts vary widely. There is really no directly proportional relationship for bonus ...
Oil Lease OK County Sec 171/17/2008
  Q: RK Pinson has contacted me regarding an oil lease for my property. I have about 40 acres. Other ...
  A: Susan, first of all "section 17" is pretty vague in that it could be anywhere, but I suppose I don't ...
Gas lease1/16/2008
  Q: My father has over 300 acres in Elk Lick Township,Somerset County, and has been offered a lease for ...
  A: Duane, R.L. Powell is likely either a small land company, or an individual. Not everyone shows up on ...
O&G Lease Wayne Co. PA1/11/2008
  Q: Scott, This is another question from NE PA. I have 40 acres in Wayne Co. right on the edge ...
  A: James, I am not familiar with the “Starrucca” group. Is this someone’s name? There are actually ...
oil and gas lease in Northeastern PA1/10/2008
  Q: We have been approached by three landmen representing three different gas and oil companies who want ...
  A: Jean, below is an example of a "depth clause" and a "hold harmless" clause. These should work in ...
selling mineral interest in Stephens County Oklahoma1/7/2008
  Q: I am interested in trying to find out what my mineral rights are worth. I don't know how to even ...
  A: Cathy, some banks will lend money on minerals, some will not. If you are in need of money for the ...
NE PA Oil and Gas Lease1/3/2008
  Q: I am looking to purchase a 22 acres of land for recreational activity and possible income property. ...
  A: Rick, if there is production during the lease primary term, then the lease is extended (and you are ...
Royalty Pool1/2/2008
  Q: I own 120 acres (3 sections) in Amite Co. MS and also the mineral rights. I noticed they are ...
  A: Sebe, If your minerals are included in the unit, it's very likely they would have contacted you ...
oil & gas lease12/28/2007
  Q: Fred, I would like to know if there is any additional compensation to the landowner where a well is ...
  A: Donna, the "royalty" is only paid to the mineral owners, not the land owners. Often companies will ...
Mineral royalties12/22/2007
  Q: My family owns the surface and 50% of the minerals on a portion of the property and 25% minerals on ...
  A: If both properties are included in the drilling unit, then you will be paid your pro-rata share in ...
oil/gas lease12/21/2007
  Q: For the past 30 days, a landsman has been leasing minerals in our area. All things considered ...
  A: He can't force you to lease at all. Now later the State might force pool you into a lease, though ...
Mineral Leasing in SE OK12/19/2007
  Q: We just recently bought some land in SE Oklahoma (SW corner of Choctaw county) and own part of the ...
  A: Ke, might be a boom going on there that I don't know about, but I sure think it's pretty "dead" ...
land lease in wayne county pa12/14/2007
  Q: I just read a question answers buy another fella in wayne county pa and the answer is really ...
  A: Jonathan, if you want more than 1/8th royalty, consider asking them for an "escalating royalty" ...
Gas Lease in Pennsylvania12/11/2007
  Q: I have received several inquiries regarding leasing my land for the gas exploration.The land is ...
  A: Don, I've gotten several contacts from folks up in Pennsylvania over the last couple of months. ...
royalties12/10/2007
  Q: A friend of mine found out he and his family members own mineral rights in south east Oklahoma. An ...
  A: Alan, the $1,000 is the "bonus" per acre he will get from the oil company for signing an oil and gas ...
Residential Oil and Gas Lease in Arlington, TX12/8/2007
  Q: My husband and I just received a letter from Permian Land Company saying that they are acquiring Oil ...
  A: Jessica, as you may know, it's fairly common for an oil company to hire a land company to get leases ...
Lease take-off12/1/2007
  Q: What is a Lease take-off. What info does it contain? How is it researched ? Where can I find an ...
  A: William, a "take off" is simply a list containing the locations (book and page) of deeds, leases ...
Paid-up Oil & Gas Lease in Northeastern PA11/27/2007
  Q: I just received a Paid-Up Oil and Gas lease from a landsman for Chesapeake Appalachia for a ...
  A: Maria, thanks for reading my previous responses for Pennsylvania. Glad you found them. I agree ...
gas leases in Bryan Co, OK11/26/2007
  Q: Is Bryan Co in Oklahoma a hot area? What companies are leasing in this area?
  A: Sherry, I wouldn't say that Bryan County, OK is a "hot" area, but there is definately activity ...
Gas Lease11/23/2007
  Q: I have some property, 74 acres, in Erie County, PA. A company has been siging up many of my ...
  A: Anthony, first off, good for you for not wanting to lease on bad terms. 10 years is too long anyway. ...
united packers oil company11/17/2007
  Q: i have recently been going through some of my late fathers papers and have found an assignment of ...
  A: Steve, first you'd want to find out if the well is still producing, or if there ever was a producing ...
Oil & Gas Speculation11/16/2007
  Q: My four sisters and I own about 1/4 interest in about 3700 acres of mineral rights in some West ...
  A: Logan, before you sell them I would do one of two things. I would either spend the money to get them ...
Oil & Gas Lease11/7/2007
  Q: My wife and I own property in the Onshore Gulf Coast Region, Lavaca Co, TX and we were recently ...
  A: Omer, while it is not unusual for a land company to buy leases for an oil company using their OWN ...
Gas leasing strategy11/5/2007
  Q: I just read your response to an 8/14/2007 posting from a Wayne County, Pa. landowner. That landowner ...
  A: Jason, I'm pleased you took the time to read my previous PA response done back in August. Saves me ...
gas royalties10/29/2007
  Q: I collect gas royalties on a well in Comanche Co. Ks The well is operated by H & B petroleum in ...
  A: Elinor, a lot of gas is sold "at the well" to pipelines. The pipelines in many areas are able to set ...
Oil & Gas properties appraisals10/24/2007
  Q: Our firm is administrating an estate with Oil & Gas interests and we are in need of appraisals on ...
  A: Often, local companies will advertise in the paper where your minerals are located. A real estate ...
Proposed gas lease N Richland Hills home10/20/2007
  Q: We received an offer from Dale Property Services acting for Cheasapeake Energy of $2500 per acre or ...
  A: Tony, I'm assuming you live "in town" and that Chesapeake is wanting to drill a well, and your part ...
royalties10/16/2007
  Q: how long does it take to receive royalty after a well starts producing.
  A: Perry, in most states, a company legally has six months after a well starts producing to pay you for ...
oil lease10/11/2007
  Q: 1. How much is 4,035 bbl? What does bbl mean? Is it billions of barrels of oil? 2. On oil leases, ...
  A: Harry, "4,035 bbl" is 4,035 barrels of oil. A barrel is about 42 gallons. You MAY be held liable ...
Lease price per acre10/1/2007
  Q: I have recently been contacted by Chesapeake regarding a lease for mineral rights I own in Brewster ...
  A: Mary, I assume you mean Brewster County, Texas, though you didn't say which state. I would check ...
oil lease9/28/2007
  Q: My parents own,and my brother and I will own by virtue of a living trust, 159 acres in Montrail ...
  A: Robert, I am not familiar with North Dakota minerals. However, you should check out www.naro-us.org ...
Oil, Gas & Mineral Lease9/27/2007
  Q: I have received in the mail a request to acquiring a non-developmental Oil, Gas, and Mineral Lease ...
  A: Dan, check with a local bank for bonus amounts. Many banks are aware of going rates. I'm sorry I'm ...
Chesapeake lease offer9/25/2007
  Q: I have read several replies to lease questions indicating the property owner should ask the oil/gas ...
  A: Chuck, many companies prefer to give you a bank draft for the lease bonus because it allows them ...
Reeves County TX lease offer9/18/2007
  Q: Scott: Our family owns mineral rights in Reeves County and we received a phone call from Petro Land ...
  A: Without seeing the lease it’s hard for me to tell you if it’s a “good” lease or not; however I can ...
gas rights sale decision9/17/2007
  Q: from southwestern Pennsylvania. leased our gas rights about 9 months ago for $5/ac for 5 years. ...
  A: Ken, first off I would say do not even consider selling your minerals for only $300 per acre unless ...
landsman comming tomorrow8/26/2007
  Q: I spoke with the landsman (kid 24 yrs)he told me that he's working for a broker that works with the ...
  A: Tom, sorry I didn't get back to you earlier. Did the landman come back yet or did we beat him?? You ...
Property Purchase8/20/2007
  Q: I am looking at purchasing a 20 acre piece of land in North Arkansas. After a little research, I ...
  A: Tracy, the "mineral estate" is the dominant estate. That means the mineral owner will be able to ...
landman came to our home in Wayne County P.A8/14/2007
  Q: a landman came to our property in N.E P.A. He was offering us 50.00 per acre, and 1/8th royalties, ...
  A: Though I am from Oklahoma and am not that familiar with PA, I will try to give you some basic tips. ...
Potential Leasing of Mineral Rights on my farm7/21/2007
  Q: We have been approached by Millenium Natural Resource Development, E. Springfield NY to sign a 5 ...
  A: Grace, To begin I must say "Danger Will Robinson"! (Remember the show "Lost in Space")? Though I ...
Oil & Gas Lease7/20/2007
  Q: My client owns .5 ac. as business property on Luna Rd/near IH 635, Dallas, Dallas Co. Texas. He was ...
  A: Kim, though I'm not familiar with leasing rates in Dallas County, I can tell you that a five-year ...
Mineral Rights on property7/18/2007
  Q: Is there a way that I can locate who owns the mineral rights on my property. Where can I go to ...
  A: If you don't own the minerals under your land, but want to find out who does, my first stop would be ...

All Questions in This Category

Energy Industry (Oil & Gas)

Frederick M. Scott

Top Expert on this page