Engineering Geology/engineering geology

Sir,please explain Engineering properties of Basalt in detail

Basalt is a fine grained dark coloured volcanic rock originated from cooling of volcanic lava flow, It contains mostly plagioclase and oligoclase felspars and also olivine and iron oxide with ophitic texture. Glass which is present in some varieties makes the rock vulnerable to chemical weathering when used as chips as construction material. There is a vesicular variety of basalt known as amygdaloidal basalt containing secondary minerals like chalcedony, opal, agate, jasper and zeolite inside the amygdular cavities.  Basalt with such silica mineral content causes alkali aggregate reaction which is harmful when used as concrete aggregate. The chemical alteration of the rock produces certain minerals collectively known as green earth which is harmful for use in construction work.
Hope this helps.

Engineering Geology

Subinoy Gangopadhyay

1. All questions related to Engineering Geology. 2. Geo-Technical aspects of engineering geology projects of India. 3. Any other Geology related questions.

I served for a period of 34 years in the engineering geology division of Geological Survey of India (GSI) advising on Geo-Technical aspects of more than hundred civil engineering projects in India and abroad. I retired as Senior Director from GSI. I have a Ph D in Engineering Geology. I am also a founder member of Indian Society of Engineering Geology and served as the editor and Vice President of this Society. I have written nearly 150 technical reports on Geo-Technical aspects of engineering projects of India including some projects abroad where I worked as a consultant. I have published numerous technical papers in reputed national and international journals.

Geological Survey Of India (GSI) Indian Society of Engineering Geology (ISEG)

Recently authored a text book for Engineers and Geology students pursuing Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral studies in Civil Engineering, Geology and Mining Engineering areas. The book has been published by Oxford University Press and is also available on Amazon: Also published books on Monuments of India - Volumes 1 & 2, available on Amazon:

M.Sc. in Geology from Presidency College, Calcutta. Ph D in Engineering Geology from Calcutta University, Calcutta.

Presidents Gold Medal winner for the best paper published in Geological and Mining Society of India, 1965.

Geological Survey of India, Kolkata. Lega Dembi Gold Mine, Ethiopia. Sonatrach Oil, Gas and Petroleum, Algeria. Geotechnical Testing, UNO, Tanzania. Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Norway.