Engineering Geology/Shear zones

Hello sir,
I want to know the processes of development of shear zones? Could they be developed for reasons other than presence of faults in their vicinity? Is mica and quartz veins an indication of shearing in rocks? Please feel to ask for further clarification of my questions.

A shear zone is developed by stresses in rock mass. It is simply a crushed zone of rocks which may be few centimeters to several hundreds of meters in width.

It is not necessary that a shear zone is always associated with a fault that shows displacement in fractured rock.

No, mere presence of micas and quartz are not indicative of shear zone though pulverised micas and fractured quartz veins may be found to occur at places in a shear zone.

Engineering Geology

Subinoy Gangopadhyay

1. All questions related to Engineering Geology. 2. Geo-Technical aspects of engineering geology projects of India. 3. Any other Geology related questions.

I served for a period of 34 years in the engineering geology division of Geological Survey of India (GSI) advising on Geo-Technical aspects of more than hundred civil engineering projects in India and abroad. I retired as Senior Director from GSI. I have a Ph D in Engineering Geology. I am also a founder member of Indian Society of Engineering Geology and served as the editor and Vice President of this Society. I have written nearly 150 technical reports on Geo-Technical aspects of engineering projects of India including some projects abroad where I worked as a consultant. I have published numerous technical papers in reputed national and international journals.

Geological Survey Of India (GSI) Indian Society of Engineering Geology (ISEG)

Recently authored a text book for Engineers and Geology students pursuing Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral studies in Civil Engineering, Geology and Mining Engineering areas. The book has been published by Oxford University Press and is also available on Amazon: Also published books on Monuments of India - Volumes 1 & 2, available on Amazon:

M.Sc. in Geology from Presidency College, Calcutta. Ph D in Engineering Geology from Calcutta University, Calcutta.

Presidents Gold Medal winner for the best paper published in Geological and Mining Society of India, 1965.

Geological Survey of India, Kolkata. Lega Dembi Gold Mine, Ethiopia. Sonatrach Oil, Gas and Petroleum, Algeria. Geotechnical Testing, UNO, Tanzania. Norwegian Geotechnical Institute, Norway.