English as a Second Language/What does the phrase "Awim away" mean?

superduck wrote at 2011-03-14 16:35:36
The first time I heard Wimoweh was in 1950 and it was sung by the Billy Williams Quartet on Sid Cesar's;  Your Show of Shows and repeated many times by popular demand.  Sure wish I could find this beaaaautifully done and captivating version.....

gts31bumbee wrote at 2013-01-02 20:36:22
The first time I heard this was on Sid Ceasar's, Your Show of Shows TV, in 1952. The Billy Williams Quartet were semi regulars who provided music interludes while the then live TV show was changing scenery and costumes. It became a big favorite along with Shanghai that they were repeated several times. I have been searching a long time for a recording as it was far superior to what followed a year or two  after !

English as a Second Language

Andrew Russell

You can try me on any point of grammar and structure, or on vocabulary. English comes alive most in its usage, and I am very experienced with questions of that kind. One of the pleasures of teaching second-language English is when a student raises a point that I have never had to think about before. I work in British English, but have enough knowledge of American and other variations to be able to help. I'm afraid I don't have the time to to any proofreading, so would have to reject requests, and can't help with translations from other languages. Also, having two small children to keep me busy, questions asked at weekends may have to wait until Monday.

I have been teaching English for 20 years, on and off, and now run my own small school attached to a theatre and arts centre in Chelsea, London.

NATFHE (lecturers' and teachers' union)

University to BSc (Zoology) Certificate in TEFL, but mostly educated on the job.

Literally hundreds of students over the years, as a teacher, many more as a Director of Studies, School Administrator and Director.
If you wish, you can check out my school at: But please don't use this to ask questions - that's what Allexperts is for.