English as a Second Language/3 Questions

Question
Hi Shannon.

This time I am really stuck.
Take a look at this:

I used a quotation from a French Jesuit priest named Teilhard de Chardin, who was trained as a paleontologist, a philosopher. One of his books, The Human Phenomenon, addresses the question of the first man. Who was he? Where? Why? The quotation says, basically, "The first man is always a crowd." Because what exists, in fact, are the conditions, the total condition, for something. Some idea crystallizes. When this time comes, we're going to see it popping up everywhere, almost at the same time, without any kind of logical or operative link.

1. Does "The first man is always a crowd" means that he is socialized and lives in group?

2. I can't understand this: "Because what exists, in fact, are the conditions, the total condition, for something."

3. To which word "it" in the last sentence returns? To "some idea"?

Thank you very much for your helps.

Answer
I am just guessing at #1 and #2, because it's not really language related...

1. Yes, I believe you can interpret it like that.

2. I believe it is related to the idea of the first man.  Because the first person for any activity depends on his or her socialization and living in groups, the focus isn't on the person, but the environment, the philosophy, the thought processes, etc.

3. yes

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole