English as a Second Language/Accuracy

Dear Amy,

What factors are important on Scoring the " Writing Accuracy". I mean factors such as spelling, punctuation, grammar, etc.

ANSWER: Akbar,

thank you for your question.

Could you please be a bit more specific? What exactly do you have in mind when you say "scoring the writing accuracy"?
In order to answer your question I need to know what you have in mind.

A general answer would be - it depends. It depends on the level of the learner, on the purpose of the "assessment" and many other subjective and/or objective factors. In most cases I'd say, though, that it's a combination of criteria that have to be considered.

Usually grammar, punctuation and spelling are important (maybe some of the most important factors to consider), but there is also the syntax, the use of idioms (if it applies), the proper addressing of the topic, and so on. Also, at times the type of essay (i.e. 5 paragraph, expository, persuasive, literary, informal) needs to be considered, and whether the writer adhered to the guidelines for writing the particular type of essay requested.

I'd be more than happy to get back to you with more if you require further clarifications.

All the best,

Dear Amy,
Thanks for your reply.
As mybe you have seen Weir's Rating Score which has 7 factors for scoring writing. I mean which of them should be considred only in regard of Accuracy. Factors on Eriting Accuracy not other parts.

There is a PDF file on the Internet- Analytic Scoring Scale (taken from Weir,1990)

ANSWER: Hello again Akbar,

in order to better assist you, please provide me with the link to the internet pdf file you have mentioned in your follow up message.

Thank you,

QUESTION: salam,
Dear Amy,
Thanks again. If I have an email address I can send the pdf file,too.

Here is what I think.

*Proper grammar and proper spelling should be - in my opinion - the main criteria.
*Punctuation should be equally important.
*I'd also add here a variety in sentence structure, as well as an extensive vocabulary as aspects to be considered.

Now with the risk of repeating myself, in assessing - particularly in assessing written material - it isn't one criterion or the other that should be predominant, but rather a combination of criteria that should be used as guidelines.

I hope this clarifies things for you.

All the best,

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed