English as a Second Language/question

Question
Hi Shanon.
can you please tell me what "caving in on itself" mean here?

Initially I made that piece as a hanging suit of armor that would quiver in an air current. But it was caving in on itself, and I ended up injecting it with urethane foam, which turned it into a totally different piece.

Many thanks.

Answer
I apologize...for some reason I didn't receive notification of your question.

Caving in on itself means that something doesn't have a lot of internal structure, so it collapses and falls or shrinks onto it's own structure.  Imagine pasting wet newspaper around a balloon.  You pop the balloon, but the newspaper has not hardened yet.  The result is that the newspaper caves in when you pop the balloon.

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole