English as a Second Language/Should I say "not only in" or "in not only"?

Question
Hello Shannon,
I'm not sure if I should say "not only in" or "in not only", in the following sentences, of if both ways are grammatically correct?
1. Carnegie Mellon University is a world-class university, that excels not only in the field of business, but liberal arts as well, especially psychology, philosophy, and history.
2. Carnegie Mellon University is a world-class university, that excels in not only the field of business, but liberal arts as well, especially psychology, philosophy, and history.

Answer
Either is ok, but #2 is slightly better.  The reason is because technically, some people might insist in #1 that you should say not only in the field...., but in liberal arts... (using "in" twice).  If you put "in" first, before "not only" then the idea is that "excels in" applies to both the field of business and liberal arts.  However, if you put a second "in" in example 1, there is a slight usage preference for #1.

Either is fine :)

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole