English as a Second Language/Direct and indirect (or reported) speech

Question
Dear Shannon,

Please read this paragraph taken from the BBC website:

The IRC says many refugees are citing rape as the main reason they left Syria and describes it as a major feature of the war. It is often committed in front of family members, the agency says.

My question: Are the words before "the agency says" direct or indirect (reported) speech". If they are direct speech,why there are no quotation marks?

Please explain in detail.

Thanks & best regards,

Answer
This would be considered indirect speech.  Even though the initial set up of the sentence is very similar in this case to direct speech, there are no quotation marks used, so it has to be indirect speech.

If we examine the sentence closely, we can see that there is a clear indication of this being reported speech.  The first part, as I mentioned, could have been either way: The IRC says many refugees are citing rape as the main reason they left Syria...   No problem, if this was an official statement, word-for-word, from the IRC.  However, this is probably just a summary of a much larger report, and the BBC wished to make a simple statement about the report.  Let's look at the rest of the sentence: ...and describes it as a major feature of the war.  Here, the subject is still the IRC, but it is not making a statement, it is "describing" the rapes.  The last sentence is similar: It is often committed in front of family members, the agency says.  Although the agency could have said this directly, more than likely, they issued a more detailed and complex report, so the BBC is just summarizing.

In other words, "say" doesn't have to be literal.  It can mean a summarization of reported speech or a written report.

Shannon Cole
www.coleinstitute.com

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole