English as a Second Language/preposition usage

Dear Ms Cole,  

I always use "confidence" with "in," but a non-native communications expert my office is hiring has come up with a new slogan, "we build confidence toward (our product)." Is it okay to say it like that? If so, is there any difference in meaning?

Thank you very much for taking your time with my question.

There is only a slight difference in meaning.  The idea of "toward" means perhaps someone doesn't has confidence at this moment, but it will come in time.  I personally prefer "we build confidence in our product" because it indicates that there is already some confidence there, and you continue to make people believe in it even more.  However, it's perfectly fine to say "confidence toward..."

Mr. Shannon Cole

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole

I can answer questions related to learning the English and Spanish language.

I have taught ESL and Spanish since 1998 at the university and middle school levels. I am a native of the U.S., and have taught in both the U.S. and Mexico.

I am owner and operator of www.coleinstitute.com, an online language school.

Georgia TESOL in Action (1999)

B.A. in Spanish; M.Ed. in Language Education

I have clients worldwide, some who want their documents proofread, and others who take lessons with me through the Internet. Some work at high-profile companies and government organizations. Besides the U.S. and Mexico, my recent students come from South Korea, Switzerland, Turkey, Colombia, Russia, Italy, Paraguay, China, Japan, the Philippines, and Saudi Arabia.