English as a Second Language/preposition usage

Question
Dear Ms Cole,  

I always use "confidence" with "in," but a non-native communications expert my office is hiring has come up with a new slogan, "we build confidence toward (our product)." Is it okay to say it like that? If so, is there any difference in meaning?

Thank you very much for taking your time with my question.

Kris

Answer
There is only a slight difference in meaning.  The idea of "toward" means perhaps someone doesn't has confidence at this moment, but it will come in time.  I personally prefer "we build confidence in our product" because it indicates that there is already some confidence there, and you continue to make people believe in it even more.  However, it's perfectly fine to say "confidence toward..."

Mr. Shannon Cole
www.coleinstitute.com

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole