English as a Second Language/Telling time

Question
Hi Mr Cole,

If it's nine minutes past two i.e two oh nine, does it sound odd to native speakers if we say " It's two nine"?

Thanks.

Answer
Yes, it does sound odd.  I'm not sure why we native speakers decided to speak in this way, but the best way to think about this is with the use of a digital clock.  If you look at a digital clock, it would display "2:09".  In many cases (bus numbers, phone numbers, time, addresses), the word "oh" is used instead of "zero."  Therefore, looking at the digital clock, you would say two-oh-nine.

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole