English as a Second Language/Whom of them?

Dear Shannon,

Are "whom" and "them" interchangeable? Can I replace "whom" with "them" in these examples?

(1) They have two grown children, both of whom  live abroad.
(2) She has written two novels, both of which  have been made into television series.
(3) There were 500 passengers, of whom 121 drowned.

Thanks & best regards,

You can use "them" in consideration of whether or not you should choose "who" or "whom," but I would not replace it with the word "them" because here, "whom" and "which" are being used as relative pronouns.  You cannot use "them" as a relative pronoun.  Instead, you would have to make a new sentence or add conjunctions to the sentence to make it grammatically correct.

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole

I can answer questions related to learning the English and Spanish language.

I have taught ESL and Spanish since 1998 at the university and middle school levels. I am a native of the U.S., and have taught in both the U.S. and Mexico.

I am owner and operator of www.coleinstitute.com, an online language school.

Georgia TESOL in Action (1999)

B.A. in Spanish; M.Ed. in Language Education

I have clients worldwide, some who want their documents proofread, and others who take lessons with me through the Internet. Some work at high-profile companies and government organizations. Besides the U.S. and Mexico, my recent students come from South Korea, Switzerland, Turkey, Colombia, Russia, Italy, Paraguay, China, Japan, the Philippines, and Saudi Arabia.