English as a Second Language/2 questions

Question
Hi Shannon,
Thanks for your answers.

1. Does this sentence say "not just working class but one or two percent of upper-class"? Otherwise what?

This aspect of “social reform”—the removal of all moneys, not just that of the classically working class, to the top one or two percent—is leading towards the disappearance of what in the United States is called the middle class.

2. What is the meaning of “peaking” here? Verb or adjective? It is hard to catch:
There was nothing sadder in the 1950s than peaking young, an artist who had “fallen off,” in Greenberg’s damning slight to Pollock.

Many thanks

Answer
1. I admit it is very confusing, but yes, your interpretation seems correct.

2. A verb.  It means that you reached the height of your career as a very young adult and either died or did nothing remarkable for the rest of your life (therefore, you had reached your "peak" at a young age).

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole