English as a Second Language/Do = learn?

Question
Dear Shannon,

I hope you are alright! I have a lot of questions but have not been able to email them due to long internet disconnetion.

Look at this sentence: "We have school in the summer, too. We go swimming, play baseball and do judo and karate."

English for Starters 9 points out that "do" means "learn". I checked the dictionary but counld not find this meaning.

Thanks & best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
It's odd they would say that.  "Do" doesn't mean "learn."  I guess they mean in the context of this sentence you could substitute it for "learn."  They did this because usually, when you do a sport (many languages say "practice a sport"), you tend to get better at it, therefore learning it.  But no, "do" only means what it always has (participate in an activity).

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole