English as a Second Language/Preposition after "to be"

Question
Dear Shannon,

Have you ever been to India?" Why the preposition "to" and not "in" is used? I think "I am/was in India" is correct but I am also not sure whether "I have been in India" is correct.

Thanks & best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
The prepositions to/at/in has always caused a lot of confusion, and in my opinion, there is no very clear rule.  Usually, when we talk about travel to a destination, we use "to."  I don't know if we would ever say, "I have been in India," because that also indicates travel.  However, it would be correct to say, "I was in India for three weeks."  You can see the difference is treating India as a travel destination versus India as a location where you actually stayed for some time.

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole