English as a Second Language/I've broken my arm or I broke my arm

Question
I figured that present perfect is used when there's a connection to the present. So for instance if someone asks me why my arm is in a cast. I should reply using present perfect "Because I've broken it". But "Because I broke it" feels kind of natural too. So which one should I use?
P.S. This is just hypothetical situation that popped into my mind.

Answer
Hey Cyril!

This is a pretty common but important question.

Technically, you are right: if the main purpose of the statement or question is to connect a past event to the present, the present perfect simple tense should be used.  If the main purpose is to inform when in the past an event happened, then the past simple tense should be used.

However, colloquially the two tenses are often used interchangeably.  This means that if you are writing or trying to speak English correctly, you should make a distinction.  However, if you are having a conversation, you can generally use either one.

Hope that helps!

English as a Second Language

Brian Connelly