English as a Second Language/Had been vs.was

Question
Dear Shannon,

I went on holiday to the beach with my family. I went swimming in the sea. I am not a very good swimmer, but I swam out too far. I felt tired, so I climbed onto a rock. I waited until I felt better, then I swam back to the shore. I did not tell anyone that I had been worried.

My questions:
1. "swim out", "climb onto" and 'swim back" I did not find these phrasal verbs in the dictionary.
2. What if "was worried" is used instead of "had been woried? What is the differnce in meaning but the past simple and past perfect?

Best regards,
Antoine Ghannoum

Answer
They are not phrasal verbs.  Instead, the prepositions indicate direction.  He swam (out = at some distance) to the rock.  He climbed onto (= on the surface of) a rock.  He swam (back = returning) to the shore.

There is not a big difference, but by using "had been worried" instead of the simple past, it emphasizes the worry was contained to that specific time period of swimming (although here it is ok, since using the simple past with just this one story would rather imply that already).

English as a Second Language

Shannon Cole